Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Catheter Insertion

Problems with Catheter Insertion

I began having difficulties inserting my catheter a couple days ago for my intermittent catherization. What are the general causes of this? Normally use the red rubber catheter but could not get them in so I had to use the hydrophilic coated catheter which is stiffer and was able to insert. Thinking I may need to go get my urethra scoped. I have never had this done or any type of urodynamics test. Kind of worried what they may find and that I may no longer be able to cath that way. Wondering what options are next if I was told that I could not intermittent cath and which is best.

Stricture?

I have a stricture that makes cathing difficult. I use a vinyl catheter in 16fr. I used a 18fr. for many years but have had to go to the slightly smaller size because of the stricture. Sometimes it's worse that others but it's always there. Lately I switched from the Covidien catheter to the Cure brand because they're slightly stiffer. Just be patient and don't try to force it. Go slow and try to relax. Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by parashooter; 09-17-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: heading

Coloplast hydrophilic coude is my solution. It's stiff enough that I can'feel' the structure at the sphincter and gently rotate the tip with very slight pressure to pass it. With softer caterers I cannot finesse the catheter and basically wind up forcing things with occasional bleeds. None of that since switching to rigid coudes. It's also a big plus not having to KY jelly the catheter or even having to pop a water bag as the coloplasts don't need that.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Coloplast hydrophilic coude is my solution. It's stiff enough that I can'feel' the structure at the sphincter and gently rotate the tip with very slight pressure to pass it. With softer caterers I cannot finesse the catheter and basically wind up forcing things with occasional bleeds. None of that since switching to rigid coudes. It's also a big plus not having to KY jelly the catheter or even having to pop a water bag as the coloplasts don't need that.
    this IS most times THE solution

if i scoot to the front of my chair and kinda lean back a little it helps me cath not sure if it would help but worth a shot
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Various reasons. One simple thing that helped for me was simply to change the angle of insertion (make it more acute). Sometimes also withdrawing about an inch and the reinserting works. Also, switching from 14FR to 15FR in the red rubber helped me significantly because it was stiffer.

I started having problems also along with the appearance of blood in the urine and catheter. My urologist had me go from a 14 to a 16 FR catheter in addition to putting me on Proscar. His belief is that my prostrate had become inflamed some and that trying to put the 14FR catheter through it was aggravating it.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Use plenty of lubricant. Holding the penis near and along the tummy improves the angle making for a straighter entrance into the bladder. Going slowly into the urethra towards the bladder keeps any spasms down. Relax as you attempt to insert.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

If your prostate is enlarged, you may need to use a Coude catheter, and consider a lubricious (hydrophilic) catheter as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Had my urethra scoped today. Urologist said it looked good and sees nothing wrong. Does not know why the red rubber catheter would be inserting difficult. He said the only thing I could try is a Cure catheter with a coude tip to see if it helps. Could the prostate be an issue? How would you tell if prostate was an issue?

This may sound stupid but I think some things I eat contribute to the problem. Seems like to much salt can cause issues. I tested one day on something I was eating and I knew when I ate it that the next day I would not get the catheter in. The next day came and I could not get it in at all. Had to use a Cure catheter that was stiffer to push through. I don't think it is a coincidence.