Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suprapubic Catheter Smell Odor

Suprapubic Catheter Smell Odor

i've had a suprapubic for about a year and a half now. after a lot of issues with overgranulation and UTIs, everything has finally settled down.
    BUT! i've been having issues with smell. i change my catheter every 2 weeks, but by the end of the first week the catheter starts to smell..it even gets on my clothes. i eat clean, there's no leakage, no UTI - just smell.. does anyone have any experience with this? any input would be appreciated!!

Here is a thread on this forum that discussed supra pubic catheters and odor. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...bic-smells-bad!

I have the same problem. especially with the overgranulation. I try to flush it every other day and I had the dr. change the size of my catheter from 18fr to 24fr which really helped keep the granulation from getting too plugged as the hole is bigger. I also change the actual drainage bag once a week. I change it on Tuesday night since I go to therapy on Wednesday and don't want to smell like a latrine.
    hope this helps.

As most here know, I would suggest using Microcyn/Theracyn instilled into the catheter, retained for a time and then drained. Microcyn Technology will kill 99% of most bacteria. Bacteria can cause odor. You can have bacteria in your bladder and not have a urinary tract infection, known as colonization.

And now we know that Mexico has approved the use of Microdox 60 for urinary bladder instillation and Microdox 60 is sold in New Zealand and Australia with specific label instructions for instilling the product into the bladder. See post 90 and 92 in the first thread cited below. Maybe worth your consideration.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=Microcyn
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

For more threads that have discussed Microcyn Technology, search "Microcyn" on this forum.

Suprapubic Catheter Smell/ Odor

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this was already posted, but I can't find the thread anywhere.

Does anyone have any experience with your suprapubc catheter tube smelling? I don't have a UTI, I drink lots of fluids, and am conscious about what I eat. But after just a week from changing my cath it starts to smell. So much that it stains onto my clothes! Would appreciate any suggestions!

thank you!

thanks for your response! i actually had read through that thread, but i've been following all the suggestions. it just seems to be the cath itself and i'm not sure what more can be done...sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Lisakaymd View Post
    I have the same problem. especially with the overgranulation. I try to flush it every other day and I had the dr. change the size of my catheter from 18fr to 24fr which really helped keep the granulation from getting too plugged as the hole is bigger. I also change the actual drainage bag once a week. I change it on Tuesday night since I go to therapy on Wednesday and don't want to smell like a latrine.
    hope this helps.

i wouldn't have thought a larger cath would help with overgranulation! i'll have to talk to my doc thanks!

I have had a suprapubic for a year. I shower every other day. Was around it with water from the shower wand and soap. I then dry it with a wet wipe. I go around it every nite with a wet wipe with a little alcohol. If I don't. It will 'leak ' and cause the smell . I have had problem with the cath being pulled with a little tension , every now and then , causing the leakage & the granulation. I now anchor it with a Statlock so it won't be pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by phlirv View Post
    I have had a suprapubic for a year. I shower every other day. Was around it with water from the shower wand and soap. I then dry it with a wet wipe. I go around it every nite with a wet wipe with a little alcohol. If I don't. It will 'leak ' and cause the smell . I have had problem with the cath being pulled with a little tension , every now and then , causing the leakage & the granulation. I now anchor it with a Statlock so it won't be pulled.
    Alcohol is pretty harsh to use on the stoma skin. You might want to consider using lightly diluted (with sterile saline) peroxide instead. Better yet, using Microcyn Wound and Skin Care or one of the veterinary based products like MicrocynAH or Theracyn would be much milder and better at killing bacteria.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-24-2017 at 10:12 PM.

If you don't have the funds or access to Microcyn, the pharamcy I worked offered a diluted acetic acid solution (quarter strength) for breaking up stones in catheter tubing. This preparation could also help you with neutralizing odors of urine.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.