Thread: increased spasms and pain

increased spasms and pain

my pain is getting worse and my right leg is spasiming worse any streches i could do i stand in standing chair and ride fes bike its also in my lower back like fire like under my right knee the muscles when touching them can make leg go crazy and in morining when i wake up its like my right leg doesnt want to flatten out i sleep on my side legs bent
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

My first question is has anything changed that has changed your spasms? Have you changed medications or do you have an infection. Changes in spasticity can be a sign of infection or pain. If the answer is no to these questions, you can try the following options. I would definitely see your health care provider to see if they have anything to add.

1. If you can get on your stomach, proning may help to decrease the spasticity. Lying on your side may not be increasing them, but it is definitely not helping them.

2. Check your skin well. Make sure that you don't have any areas that may be open - even the smallest one can increase spasms.

3. Check your posture in your chair. Make sure that it is the way that it was before this change.

Hope that this helps.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    My first question is has anything changed that has changed your spasms? Have you changed medications or do you have an infection. Changes in spasticity can be a sign of infection or pain. If the answer is no to these questions, you can try the following options. I would definitely see your health care provider to see if they have anything to add.

1. If you can get on your stomach, proning may help to decrease the spasticity. Lying on your side may not be increasing them, but it is definitely not helping them.

2. Check your skin well. Make sure that you don't have any areas that may be open - even the smallest one can increase spasms.

3. Check your posture in your chair. Make sure that it is the way that it was before this change.

Hope that this helps.

ckf
    only change is the spsms my right hip does hurt though and at night i usea condum cath and bag and sometimes theres some urine in bag and my bladder is ballooned out like a canalope i have sit up in bed and cath like it just stopped urinating and started holding in the urine that happens the more i spasm at night or if i fall sleep on my back

thanks im trying the prone thing too

went to my primary no infections i did fall getting in car she checked me out no swelling or bruising said i was good it mainly is my right leg when i stand in my standing chair possibly just more tone i no ive lost a lot of muscle mass in legs even though i ride the rti 300 stem bike maybe my right leg is just getting a mind its own

T-1o Para here post 20 plus years. Spasms and chronic pain all my life since injury. Pain and spasms got so bad I couldn't function. I took oral meds for years but they we're no longer able to stop spams or control pain. We finally installed a Medtronics intrathecal pump. Delivers medication directly to my spine in low doses. Finally spasms are under controls in my pain level stays around a 4 to 5. On a level from 1-10 and the 10 being unctrollable. It has changed my whole life but of course is requires surgery. Takes a while to get the right dosage figured out. I also have to go get a shot into my stomach to fill the pump about every 3 months but it's all worth it to me big time. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    T-1o Para here post 20 plus years. Spasms and chronic pain all my life since injury. Pain and spasms got so bad I couldn't function. I took oral meds for years but they we're no longer able to stop spams or control pain. We finally installed a Medtronics intrathecal pump. Delivers medication directly to my spine in low doses. Finally spasms are under controls in my pain level stays around a 4 to 5. On a level from 1-10 and the 10 being unctrollable. It has changed my whole life but of course is requires surgery. Takes a while to get the right dosage figured out. I also have to go get a shot into my stomach to fill the pump about every 3 months but it's all worth it to me big time. Good luck

wow never heard of that kind of pump b4

Yeah it's been out for a while and is life changing for me. Yes it requires surgery to install and has to be replaced in about 5 to 6 years when the battery runs out. Worth it for me changed my whole life. Here's the link if you want to read up on it good luck! http://www.medtronic.com/us-en/healt...n-systems.html

I have had a Medtronic pump for 20 + years. I was taking so much Baclaphin (?) that I was sleeping 15 hrs a day. It was a life saver...