Thread: Recommendations for SP catheters

Recommendations for SP catheters

Currently using 18fr poiesis duette catheter but so far i`ve been having negative experiences with them. the very first one i tried was during my first sp catheter change. after my urologist inserted it he was unable to inflate the balloon tip (5cc). he took it out to try and inflate it outside but nothing. fortunately i took a spare. on my next visit for my catheter change (still using the spare). he went to deflate the balloon tip only to find out that nothing was being withdrawn from the syringe because the balloon was already deflated. now i dont know at what point it deflated or how long i went on wearing it that way but isnt that the main purpose of this catheter? to protect the bladder wall from the tip of the catheter with a second balloon? so whats the point if it deflates? i know some suggest checking the liquid levels at the halfway point (2nd week) and to refill if necessary but what if its a slow leak and it empties out in 2-3 days. so i`m not sold on this dual balloon system. just seems like double the chance for problems as opposed to a single balloon catheter. so if anyone can recommend another type of catheter i`d appreciate it as i am new to the SP thing.
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004
    "I don't fear death, only the method of dying"

I've been using a Bardia foley for the last 17 years. Seven of those years with the SP tube. Been working fine for me. I buy the whole kit, catheter and insertion apparatus in one package. I pay out of pocket and I can buy them for around $6.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I've been using a Bardia foley for the last 17 years. Seven of those years with the SP tube. Been working fine for me. I buy the whole kit, catheter and insertion apparatus in one package. I pay out of pocket and I can buy them for around $6.00.
    got a link?
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004

I get mine from here Catheter Manufacturers | Discount Catheters
    $18.15 for 10 plus $18.86 for shipping & handling. Comes out to $3.70 a peace.
    This particular one
    Covidien - 402724 - Foley Catheter, 5cc Balloon, 2-Way, 24FR, 16"L, 10/ctn | Discount Catheters
    Last edited by Flatiron; 09-15-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    I had serious probs with the Duette once I'd switched from foley to SP. It's just to soft to penetrate the stoma and then the bladder wall. It got flimsey in the interstitial space and "bounced" off my bladder not finding its way in. I'm using plain 'ole 14's now with no issues and 5-6 wk changes.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by goldnucs View Post
    I had serious probs with the Duette once I'd switched from foley to SP. It's just to soft to penetrate the stoma and then the bladder wall. It got flimsey in the interstitial space and "bounced" off my bladder not finding its way in. I'm using plain 'ole 14's now with no issues and 5-6 wk changes.
    i havent had that problem yet with the 18fr. You never mentioned what brand you`re using. only thing i like about the duettes is that they`re clear so i can see if anything i blocking it.
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004

Different products work for different people. I always love to hear about your experiences with different products.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.