Thread: skin fissure

skin fissure

I've been dealing with a groin rash for a long time. I have been using Interdry, and miconazole nitrate cream and powder (not at the same time). I cured the rash on one side, then the rash moved to the other side!

Anyway, now I have a small, dry skin fissure in the area of the rash. Like a small, dry crack in the skin about a half-inch long.

How should I treat it?

Also, I read somewhere that a skin fissure like this can be due to dry skin. Could using Interdry and miconazole powder have caused the skin to dry out too much, causing this? The Interdry seemed to help with the rash actually.

I do still have what looks like a slight fungal infection in the area.

It might not have been the same condition, but my dermatologist prescribed a silver sulfadiazine cream and a halobetasol propionate ointment. They helped some but then his nurse recommended OTC Cerave lotion. The rash was gone in less than two weeks. It came back once in about a month, but one application of Cerave cleared it up.

Do you use a blow dryer on the cool setting after showers/baths? Apply powder after? I use Gold Bond powder without issue.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I know that many people use a hair dryer on low to dry the groin. I would HIGHLY recommend against it. I have seen too many people get burned, even with it on LOW. I rarely go against others advice, especially in the community, but this is one that I feel strongly about.

It could be that you dried out the area too much. However, without seeing and being able to examine the area, it is hard to say. I would recommend that you see your physician or health care provider. In the meantime, keep the area clean and dry (not too dry) and try to air it when you can.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.