Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How does one know or find out

  1. #1

    How does one know or find out

    what their percentage of disability is?

    Non-service connected C4-5-6 quad for over 47 years.

  2. #2
    Let me rephrase this.

    What criteria needs to be met to be 100% disabled by military standards? How about 70% or 50% and so on? What is the percentage based on and who determines this? Thank you all!

  3. #3
    There are two different systems for that is used by Social Security, and the other by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. For SS, this should be listed in your documents from the approval of your application for SSI or SSDI. The DoD does not do a determination of percentage of disability. For those who are going through a military medical discharge, a medical board is conducted which either determines that the person is or is not "fit for duty", and if not, that this is considered to be a permanent condition.

    For the VA, only those claiming service-connected disabilities get a rating based on percentages, and it is a very complex process determined by an evaluation of DoD and VA medical records, and a physical exam (first a vesting exam and then a Compensation and Pension...called a "Comp&Pen" exam) by a special VA Comp&Pen physician, which is then translated into a percentage using a very big coding book.

    Non-service connected Veterans with a SCI should be categorized as a Category 4 Priority Veteran, which makes you eligible for VA healthcare without co-payment, and for certain NSC veterans, a small pension.

    The best way to go about making sure you are getting all VA benefits to which you are entitled is to work with a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) service officer. For SCI, the best organization to do this with is a NSO (National Service Officer) who is employed by the PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America).
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  4. #4
    Thank you!

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Find me the best PC under $500!
    By DeadEye in forum Computers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 08:27 PM
  2. How do I find a DME?
    By Brooke in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM
  3. where can i find
    By shawn26 in forum Cure
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 06:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts