Thread: Battery chargers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Battery chargers

My chair originally came with a 24v 4amp on-board charger. Lately I've been using a 24v 4amp off-board charger (it has 2 NF22 batteries). I just bought a set of MK 22NF Gel batteries. They suggest using their 24v 8amp charger but I'm not willing to use a 8amp charger on a chair that was wired for 4amp charger. But when I search for replacement chargers for my chair there are a lot of 24v 5amp chargers listed. So I ordered a 24v 5amp charger designed for Gel batteries(I actually got it today but it was the model for AGM batteries, it has a higher charging voltage, so I'm sending it back). Does anyone think using a 5amp instead of a 4amp will cause problems with my chairs wiring? I talked to the people who make the charger and they said a 5amp charger was a minimum I should use and my 51ah batteries and 51ah batteries was the max a 5amp charger could handle. Makes me wonder how my 4amp charger managed. Anyone have any experience with this type of situation???

What make/model is your chair?

From what I found out you're correct in that a 4 amp charger should be used.

Thanks Rusty,

your probably right, that's definitely what the chair was originally equipped with. But both MK Batteries and Universal Power Group (the people who manufacture the charger) recommend a higher Amp charger. I'm not going to use a 8amp as MK suggested but I'm going to go to try a 5amp. If it screws up my wiring I'll post back.

You'll probably be ok with the 5 amp, but I wouldn't charge it unattended. You could charge the batteries at higher amps but you would need to run heavier cables to the batteries.