Thread: Cushion for Quad

Cushion for Quad

Good evening fellow forum, my name is John and I have a complete c5 spinal cord injury. I am writing to you for advice on my anti-decay cushion. Many years use a QUADTRO ROHO and I never had problems of pressure points with the same but with this cushion the transfers became very complicated because it is very soft and when I dragged the tail the cushion was detached from the seat and it was difficult for me to pass from side to side. For this reason I decided to change to a ROHO HYBRIDO, I used it a while and it did not mark me but the problem I had was that although it facilitated the transfer it was very high and it made me lose stability in the chair. A long time ago ROHO HYBRIDO began to mark me right between the legs and buttocks, where the tail cheeks end and begin the legs (at the level of the testicles) and I had to stop using it for fear that it hurt me. I returned to use QUADTRO ROHO But this complicated the transfers a lot. I wanted to know if someone had happened the same with him ROHO HYBRIDO and how he had solved or if I could recommend a cushion not as soft as he ROHO QUADTRO that is suitable for my situation and not be as tall as he ROHO HYBRIDO of being uncomfortable mark me ... made clear to them what happened sitting about 10 hours a day and did not take off the tail of the cushion since I do not have any triceps, the tail is in the cushion at 10 o'clock.PS: THE HYBRID ROHO It does not mark me after 10 hours but soon after sitting in it starts to put on red skin.PS: I have a photo of my ass marked and it gives me a bit of embarrassment to upload it but if they believe what is necessary I can upload it so they can see how and where it marks me.I look forward to your advice and thank you very much for reading me.Best regards,Juan.

Do you have a seating clinic in any of the facilities near you? If so, I would recommend that you make an appointment with them. They would be the experts in this area - and are often able to pressure map you in a variety of positions, making the decision based on data versus "I like this, but not that". If there is not a seating clinic, you may be able to find a good OT or PT who has similar capabilities.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have a seating clinic in any of the facilities near you? If so, I would recommend that you make an appointment with them. They would be the experts in this area - and are often able to pressure map you in a variety of positions, making the decision based on data versus "I like this, but not that". If there is not a seating clinic, you may be able to find a good OT or PT who has similar capabilities.

ckf
    Good afternoon !, Thank you for responding. A few days ago I went to the orthopedics that sell ROHO cushions in my city, they told me that they could not make me a pressure map and that if the hybrid cushion had started marking I would have to use the air model QUADTRO Yes or yes ...Check with other quadriplegics and they recommended the cushion JAY 2 and the SUPRACOR, so I'll try to get a JAY 2 gel to test it and see if I bought it. SUPRACOR is not sold in my country ...On the other hand I also started taking vitamins C and E because I read that in another post they were recommended to strengthen the skin but they produced diarrhea so I had to stop taking them ... Is there any other way to strengthen the skin?Greetings and thanks for your answer =)

Vitamin E actually can weaken your skin. Stop taking it. How much vitamin C are you taking? There is no way to "strengthen" the skin for pressure ulcer prevention. Pressure ulcers start deep inside from poor circulation. Doing regular weight shifts (every 10-15 minutes) and having a properly fit cushion is critical. Protein intake that is sufficient is important for tissue healing and health of your skin. Be sure you are getting enough (80-100mg. daily at least). Avoiding use of tobacco products, and controlling any diabetes is also critical.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.