Thread: Vacation coverage

Vacation coverage

I will be traveling to Japan from September 24-October 2. As was somewhat expected because it is out of the US, my standard attendant care coverage through the state was denied for my coverage (my attendant is traveling with me). My question is, am I required to pay through the agency, or am I able to private pay my attendant a mutually agreed upon rate?

Depends on the contract that you have with the agency, and the contract that the state has with the agency. Some preclude you from paying your attendant outside of the terms of the coverage, and from the agency, they may have a requirement that the person cannot work for you privately if they are also being paid through a contract, even if not for the same time or duties.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.