Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help performance wheels question please

need help performance wheels question please

Hi guys, on the market for a new set of wheels. I am very tough on wheels I have ran every thing Spinergy Lx, Currently Run Round Betty dino's I like those. However having problems with my Dino's broke a few spokes. On my back of pair of wheels not going to last long. Does anybody have any feed back on the Topolino Carbon core, Appreciate any feed back

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Hi guys, on the market for a new set of wheels. I am very tough on wheels I have ran every thing Spinergy Lx, Currently Run Round Betty dino's I like those. However having problems with my Dino's broke a few spokes. On my back of pair of wheels not going to last long. Does anybody have any feed back on the Topolino Carbon core, Appreciate any feed back
    Stay away from Topolinos!!! I got Topolinos and they creaked horribly from day 1. My DME wouldn't do anything for me. So I had to contact the company myself. I ended up talking to the owner of the company (Ok guy). He instructed me to go to a high-end bike shop to get the wheels trued and spokes tightened. It was better, but the creaking came back after a few months. I then had to pay for a new set of wheels before they would ship them to me. Once I got the new wheels, I used their box to ship back my creaking wheels to his company and wait several weeks before getting reimbursed. That time difference cost me over $200 out of my pocket due mostly to currency conversion. (I live in Canada and the company is in the US.) The de-installlation and re-installation of the hand rims and tires was left up to me which was a pain in the ass.

The Topolinos as a wheel are very light but are not resilient to a side impacts at all. I have two busted spokes on one wheel and one busted spoke on the other. They now creak badly and the missing spokes are very obvious so I don't use them anymore and you can't buy replacement spokes. The hub is in two pieces that slide into each other with each side containing half of the non removable spokes. So in the best case scenario you would only have to buy one half of the hub if your busted spokes are all located on that half. In my case they are not, so I would have to buy one entire wheel because I imagine that buying both hub halves would be more expensive. That option costed me $1200 when I ordered my Tilite ZRA v2 and were nothing but a pain in the ass! My 15 year old 18 spoke Spinergys have never required any maintenance and are still going strong and are not significantly heavier that the Topolinos.
    Last edited by fasdude; 10-03-2017 at 01:04 PM.

For myself, after so many years of trying out different brands of wheels, Spinergy SPOX wheels seem to be the best for my very active lifestyle. The LX spokes seemed to loosen up every 6 months or so. Round Betty's had spokes break. The SPOX have been bullet proof for at least 6 years.

Thanks guys for the heads up on your experience with the wheels. I have decided to go with the Round betty's again as I can always replace the spokes when they break. I have only broken one spoke after running them for a little over a year. I do like Spinergy's but like you said Patrick downside they creak and loosen after a while. I would stay with spinergy's if I had one of those table top truing assemblies. I definitely like how Solid my Round bettys are. Thanks again for your fee back and keep rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    For myself, after so many years of trying out different brands of wheels, Spinergy SPOX wheels seem to be the best for my very active lifestyle. The LX spokes seemed to loosen up every 6 months or so. Round Betty's had spokes break. The SPOX have been bullet proof for at least 6 years.
    Not to hijack nmireles thread.
    I use LX and have no problem with them. Mind you they don't get a rough ride from me, just a slightly heavy one
    That is a good reference for SPOX Patrick.
    I have an older set of SPOX wheels I inherited a while back; I think that I will get them back into useable order.
    How do they differ from LX hubs, is it composition, design? Or are we talking the complete wheel assembly?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 10-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.

What's your definition of a performance wheel. I don't use the new stuff with carbon or plastic spokes, because I weld. I use old tech, a Belgian rim with DT spokes. I've at one time removed half the spokes, down to 18 from 36. No problems except people telling me "your spokes are missing". Never had a failure problem. Been down mountain roads, bounced the chair out of the jeep a couple times, down flights of stairs. And if I would break a spoke, I could go to a bike shop anywhere in the world and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Wouldn't go with Topolinos from your use, but what is your price point?

Balfatdad, performance wheels to me, cnc machined hub, double wall deep v aluminum rims as well as weigh less than 1.8 lbs. Basically something very light weight either carbon fiber, or pbo fiber spoke technology like the spinergy lx. Tman price point doesn't come into play. As I got injured on the job workers comp injured worker. So all my medical supplies are covered 100 %. I can pretty much request any product I want as long as I can obtain an Rx. Thanks for the feed back every one. I have ordered my customer Round betty dino's with colored spokes. I can't wait until they arrive.

I have been using Dinos for a few years now I really like them however they don't answer the phone often and are not good at returning calls. Also whoever assembled my last set didn't know what they were doing. There was no rim tape so the tubes both blew out right away. They must have used permanent locktite on the hand rims because the bolts won't come out and the valve rim nut was tightened up against the valve cap instead of the rim. Great wheel though much better than those plastic spoked wheels.
    Did you order the new Dino V2 Wheel or the originals?
    Also since you don't have a price point have you thought of Softwheels? I'm in the process of getting a demo pair. I saw them in person and was really impressed. Twice the weight but the suspension is amazing.
    http://softwheel.technology/theacrobat/

why not spinergy xslx wheels they would last i would think, thats what i use on my basketball chair they are tough wheels.