Thread: Klebsiella in bladder but no infection per report

Klebsiella in bladder but no infection per report

Hi, I had Klebsiella Ozaenae and took Levaquin for for about 5 days then switched to Augmentin for ten days. Everything seemed ok after that and I did a follow up C&S a few days later. That showed no signs of infection, no white cells, blood, Nitrite etc. but the final report read positive for Klebsiella Pneumonia with over 100,000 colonies. My doctor said that I don't have a bladder infection so there's nothing to treat. The bacteria is growing in my bladder though. He said to take cranberry pills and check it again in two weeks. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? This seems very odd and me a bit nervous. I don't have a fever or anything either.

Thanks for ant help!
    Joe

Other than the culture results, it sounds as though you do not have any symptoms of a uti. Those symptoms could include an increase in spasms, fever, chills, back pain (if you have sensation), poor urination or burning on urination (again if you have sensation). Since you are not reporting any of these the course of action is not to treat with antibiotics. It only makes you more resistant to drugs and in the long run is not good for you.

Hope that this helps.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm volunteering myself as the cautionary tale of over treating with antibiotics. Like most folks with an SCI, I have a neurogenic bladder and now a SPC. My initial PCP and urologist were SCI & neurogenic bladder naive. I got a UTI, it got treated, recurred asymptomatically and treatment continued and continued and continued. All the bacteria in my bladder are now very MDR - if I develop a proper UTI again, it will take a combination of IV only antibiotics for at least two weeks, lots of liver function tests and I will be inpatient. Don't over treat. Unless you're symptomatic, don't take antibiotics. If you're not symptomatic then it's not a UTI - you're just colonized which is pretty inevitable for SCI folks with neurogenic bladder and catheters. Really. Lots of folks report success preventing UTI with bladder irrigation and instillation.

Annev308,
    I think you win the day's prize for the most acronyms in one post....just kidding

I think most of us know SCI, UTI, PCP, maybe SPC and C&S, but I had to search for the meaning of MDR. MDR=Multiple Drug Resistant.(?) Now I am wondering why it isn't MAR. MAR=Multiple Antibiotic Resistant?
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-12-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Don't know the answer to that one.... as my son would say - Google it. Mom! It could be related to the fact that viruses may also become resistant to the anti-virals. Just guessing on that one.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.