Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Your RO system may be making you sick

  1. #1

    Smile Your RO system may be making you sick

    We all know that we're supposed to drink lots of water. I installed an RO system so that I would always have a supply of high quality water to be well hydrated. I found the opposite to be true. I never felt well hydrated. The more I drank, the worse I felt. But why does spring water do such a great job of hydrating me? At first I thought it was just coincidence and there must be something else. But I have noticed the same pattern repeating over years so I started to reconsider. This study makes total sense. RO water has no chlorine so it is a prime spot for bacteria. Seems pretty obvious. I even brought this up with the vendor when I purchased the system. He assured me that the only problem would be stagnant water in the toilet tank and to put some bleach in there periodically.

    Not so fast.

    What happens when you go on vacation for 2 weeks? Stagnant dechlorinated water in the RO tank, chambers, lines, and the filter itself will grow bacteria. In fact, carbon is an ideal breading ground for bacteria. You start feeling bad and don't know why. The last thing you would suspect is the RO water. After all, it was an investment in your health.

    It's even worse if you have a whole house dechlorinating filter. Because all the pipes stand to grow bacteria. Of course, you could flush the RO system and pipes with a disinfectant periodically. But who do you know that does that? I was never advised by the vendor and the owner's manuals say nothing about it.

    The more I think it through the more problematic it is to dechlorinate water at any point other than the point of use. When was the last time you flushed your refrigerator water line? It's just a matter of time until bacteria or a bug makes it's way inside there. You take all the time and effort to clean the water, then contaminate it immediately prior to drinking it. No thanks. You'd be better off with (safe) tap water or preferably spring water, a shower head filter, and chlorine in all the pipes.

  2. #2
    Make sense...we went for 1 month from the house
    and I got stomach troubles as soon as we returned back
    and water seems to be the cause.
    I am about to purchase water test to check on my RO system.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

    Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

  3. #3
    You really shouldn't be drinking any more than about 2 liters of water per day. Any more than that you are putting an extraordinary load on your kidneys. And possibly setting yourself up for hyponatremia, just trust me I've been there, in ICU for 6 days with a blood sodium level of 106...that my friends is near death.

    Most metropolitan water systems deliver adequately safe water to drink. If you think you need more protection you only need to install a carbon filtration and a ceramic filtration system that uses media with a small pore size to filter out everything from sediment, to bacteria, to lead out of your drinking water. Ceramic water filters work by simply allowing the water to seep through tens of millions of pores in the water cartridge surface.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-11-2017 at 10:51 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    You really shouldn't be drinking any more than about 2 liters of water per day. Any more than that you are putting an extraordinary load on your kidneys.

    Most metropolitan water systems deliver adequately safe water to drink. If you think you need more protection you only need to install a carbon filtration and a ceramic filtration system that uses media with a small pore size to filter out everything from sediment, to bacteria, to lead out of your drinking water. Ceramic water filters work by simply allowing the water to seep through tens of millions of pores in the water cartridge surface.
    The problem with municipal water is that even if the quality is adequate at the plant, the delivery system may use 100 year old pipes, which introduces an unknown factor. Then there is taste and pharmaceutical content. People flush their meds that are too fine for the water treatment plant to filter. Hence, we all end up taking micro doses of our neighbor's meds.

    Spring water is the best bet. Tap water filtered as you mention may be a decent alternative. Having said that, if you have a health issue where you have to reduce TDS (total dissolved solids) as much as possible, then distilled water and/or RO is the way to go. You just need to know how to maintain an RO system, which is something that I learned the hard way.

    By the way, zero TDS count means zero minerals. I understand that you should rely on getting minerals from food not water. But zero minerals may result in water leaching minerals from your body. That may be the reason why I never feel hydrated from RO water and drinking more makes me feel worse. I don't over do it. Or it could be bacteria. There are other quasi-science reasons offered, like the RO membrane alters the structure of the water molecules, which renders the water less readily absorbed by our cells. Whatever it is, I sense a problem with RO water. The potential for bacteria enabling illness is the icing on the cake making RO water the perfect storm.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    2,351
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    You really shouldn't be drinking any more than about 2 liters of water per day. Any more than that you are putting an extraordinary load on your kidneys. And possibly setting yourself up for hyponatremia, just trust me I've been there, in ICU for 6 days with a blood sodium level of 106...that my friends is near death.

    Most metropolitan water systems deliver adequately safe water to drink. If you think you need more protection you only need to install a carbon filtration and a ceramic filtration system that uses media with a small pore size to filter out everything from sediment, to bacteria, to lead out of your drinking water. Ceramic water filters work by simply allowing the water to seep through tens of millions of pores in the water cartridge surface.

    2 liters of liquid water is about twice as much as is good. The study often cited for the "2 liters" goes on to say half of that comes from an adequate solid food diet.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    2 liters of liquid water is about twice as much as is good. The study often cited for the "2 liters" goes on to say half of that comes from an adequate solid food diet.
    2 liters, if not a lot more...a gallon, of water is an often stated amount that people on this forum drink per day. I agree with you 1 liter is probably enough, if you are getting adequate liquid from your regular diet. In fact, my nephrologist has me on 1 liter of water plus dietary liquid. When I was recovering from hyponatermia, she restricted me to 1 liter period, including dietary sources.

  7. #7
    I have no clue about RO and it's potential impact so will leave this one up to those who know or use it.

    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  8. #8
    And just in case someone is wondering what RO is...Reverse Osmosis

  9. #9
    Drinking 1 liter may be adequate. But drinking 2 liters isn't bad. The amount of water you'd have to force before getting adverse reactions is ridiculously high.

    Drinking 1 liter of water in the morning well before breakfast makes me feel great, unless it is RO water. RO water makes me feel toxic even is smaller quantities, like the feeling you get when you are coming down with something. Hence, I don't think it's the volume. I think it's the type of water and it's potential for problems like bacteria content and mineral leaching.
    Last edited by August West; 09-12-2017 at 03:32 PM.

  10. #10
    I also notice an increase in muscle spasms with RO water, which is consistent with bacteria content and mineral leaching. Drinking spring water is like taking a muscle relaxer, at least for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 05:21 AM
  2. Some Seek Attention by Making Pets Sick
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 08:25 PM
  3. PT Making Me Sick?
    By TINAMARIE in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •