Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shower transfer bench advice - Medline/Guardian vs. Drive - durability?

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Reason this bench was recently discontinued and replaced with new item G98013A. Same thing pretty much you can order it on my website. I will provide you with the link below or you can call me at 480-704-3870
    https://www.indemedical.com/Medline-...ing_p_542.html

Yes, that is similar. But he needs one without the cut out. Just a plain bench. I know a lot of folks like the cut out, but it isn't good for him. I did look at your website actually! I am happy to support your company, and appreciate your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    I use a regular Active aid shower bench(padded, no cut outs). Been using it 10 years and no problems at all. I travel with it some too.
    Yeah, that it is a nice bench, but Activeaid stuff is so pricey! And I actually don't see that item on their website anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    My "BEST" bath chair was one from JCP Medical catalog, no joke! That was a padded sEat and back whicH lasted for like 15 years til padded seat covering started breaking down.
    Do not recommend Drive products, DME recommended a Drive Transfer bench, no padding just hard surfaces. Also recommended a closed cell seat cushion to set on which was small, hard to get onto and was worthless. The bench back tubing to seat/legs broke after about 2 years.
    Been though several different ones since then and none as good as first.
    I hope someone might know brand that JCP Medical sold in 1990's? I would like another one!

BTW: Invicare padded seat didn't last more than acouple years either. And was not real stable without cross bracinging on legs.

Thanks for your feedback. I would have bought the Drive if it wasn't for you guys posting. And I also wondered about Invacare...

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Reason this bench was recently discontinued and replaced with new item G98013A. Same thing pretty much you can order it on my website. I will provide you with the link below or you can call me at 480-704-3870
    https://www.indemedical.com/Medline-...ing_p_542.html
    Have you advertised your website in our Manuf & Vendor Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Yeah, that it is a nice bench, but Activeaid stuff is so pricey! And I actually don't see that item on their website anymore....
    http://www.nuprodx.com/order3000.htm

Nuprodx is expensive, but they will last a lot longer than these other chairs, and they offer customization. Note on this page above the H4 custom solid (no commode cut out) seat.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hi Jim, I have posted a couple of threads in the vendor forum. Been a member of the forum for quite a while. Hih sorry for misunderstanding which medline bench you wanted. With respect to the non cut out medline bench. Unfortunately that bench has been discontinued.

Great nmireles, just wanted to make sure everyone knew about your website. There's a couple of SCI groups on Facebook you should post on also.

I have a T4 SCI. I've been in a chair since 1989 and my backside is but skin and bones and I weigh about 180lbs. I've had issues with all kinds of shower benches with the hardware rusting out or the padding on the shower benches ripping or breaking apart. I have a wheel-in shower and have been using these two products since 2013 and have been showering in complete comfort since then:

Medline Composite Bath Benches with Back (All plastic)

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Compo...ches+with+Back

WonderGel Extreme Seat Cushion - 16in.L x 18in.W x 2in. Thick, Model# WG-EX-001 (I use it without the cushion cover and it fits perfectly between the two handles on the bath bench above.)

https://www.amazon.com/WonderGel-Ext...W+x+2in.+Thick

A few tips: Before transferring on to the shower chair, I take the hand shower and spray the cushion down with water until the "holes" are filled, which helps wash my backside. At the end of the shower, when I've transferred back into my wheelchair, I turn the shower cushion upside down so that the water all drains out.

Jim thanks for letting me know and the heads up on other sci groups on facebook. I am a member of a few of those groups. I follow virtual peers for paras and quads. Our main goal at Indemedical.com is to help people and give them affordable options. The whole reason we started this company. Both of us owners are chairs user Paras with 20 plus years in the medical supply business. We originally worked at Allegro Medical in management positions. Helped grow that company to one the biggest online medical suppliers. Decided to branch out open our own company. People have been very receptive. Especially since we used the products ourselves. Anyways thanks again for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by fasdude View Post
    I have a T4 SCI. I've been in a chair since 1989 and my backside is but skin and bones and I weigh about 180lbs. I've had issues with all kinds of shower benches with the hardware rusting out or the padding on the shower benches ripping or breaking apart. I have a wheel-in shower and have been using these two products since 2013 and have been showering in complete comfort since then:

Medline Composite Bath Benches with Back (All plastic)

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Compo...ches+with+Back

WonderGel Extreme Seat Cushion - 16in.L x 18in.W x 2in. Thick, Model# WG-EX-001 (I use it without the cushion cover and it fits perfectly between the two handles on the bath bench above.)

https://www.amazon.com/WonderGel-Ext...W+x+2in.+Thick

A few tips: Before transferring on to the shower chair, I take the hand shower and spray the cushion down with water until the "holes" are filled, which helps wash my backside. At the end of the shower, when I've transferred back into my wheelchair, I turn the shower cushion upside down so that the water all drains out.
    Thank you for sharing this!

It is a good idea to simply think about using a cushion. For transferring, my Dad probably needs the additional stability of the longer bench that reaches outside of the tub, but you reminded me that adding a cushion on top is always an option if the pads start to break down or are insufficient.