Thread: Ssdi and work??

Ssdi and work??

So this may be a stupid question but ... so I currently collect ssdi and I'm looking for a job but say I start working and then eventually stop and go back on ssdi will or can that affect how much money I was getting I mean could I end up getting less money than I was getting before I started working ? If that makes any sense to you all.

Thank you that have me some info I also wanted to know. But I want to know basically can the amount you get now not working go down if I start working then stop and go back on can the amount go down from last time I received money?

I went back to work for a couple years and my benefits increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie630 View Post
    So this may be a stupid question but ... so I currently collect ssdi and I'm looking for a job but say I start working and then eventually stop and go back on ssdi will or can that affect how much money I was getting I mean could I end up getting less money than I was getting before I started working ? If that makes any sense to you all.
    Very interesting issue you have brought up. I know SSDI is based on the level of employment income you had for certain number of "quarters" at time of application. For example someone with 7 years of minimum wage would get less than someone with double minimum wage.
    But your question makes me wonder too what happens if you go to work at a job that pays less than what you had gotten when you applied for SSDI, then leave that job and re-apply.
    I do understand that your SSDI continues at same amount for up to about 18 months after you return to work. But, for example, if you return to work at a lower wage, then leave 5 years later (after SSDI ceases) and re-apply - don't know if those "quarters" are used to recalculate your benefit.

Strongly suggest you contact your local Social Security office on this one. It is an important question especially for someone with a fairly permanent disability, who returns to work but may face times when they have medical issues causing interruption in work record.

Is the amount based on the most recent paycheck amount or the aggregate amount contributed to social security?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Very interesting issue you have brought up. I know SSDI is based on the level of employment income you had for certain number of "quarters" at time of application. For example someone with 7 years of minimum wage would get less than someone with double minimum wage.
    But your question makes me wonder too what happens if you go to work at a job that pays less than what you had gotten when you applied for SSDI, then leave that job and re-apply.
    I do understand that your SSDI continues at same amount for up to about 18 months after you return to work. But, for example, if you return to work at a lower wage, then leave 5 years later (after SSDI ceases) and re-apply - don't know if those "quarters" are used to recalculate your benefit.

Strongly suggest you contact your local Social Security office on this one. It is an important question especially for someone with a fairly permanent disability, who returns to work but may face times when they have medical issues causing interruption in work record.
    this is exactly what I'm mean ! I made a decent amount before injery and if I go work now making less will I get less when I reapply ?? I may have to try to contact them I definitely don't want to end up getting less. Just makes finding a job that much harder if I need to make close to what I did make

That's a good question I didn't consider before. At one time there was an SSDI calculator that you entered your income from the past so many quarters and it would spit out the amount you'd make, but I can't find it at the moment with a quick search.

I'm pretty sure that it would not go down throughout the 60 month trial work period in which you can immediately go back on SSDI if your income ever falls below the threshold of substantially gainful activity (or whatever SS calls it) even for a single month. And they straight up keep giving you the same check no matter how much income you are making for the first nine of those months.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    That's a good question I didn't consider before. At one time there was an SSDI calculator that you entered your income from the past so many quarters and it would spit out the amount you'd make, but I can't find it at the moment with a quick search.

I'm pretty sure that it would not go down throughout the 60 month trial work period in which you can immediately go back on SSDI if your income ever falls below the threshold of substantially gainful activity (or whatever SS calls it) even for a single month. And they straight up keep giving you the same check no matter how much income you are making for the first nine of those months.
    im just scared that after the 9 months I keep working them end up goin on ssdi and say I used to make 60k a year and now I make say 30k now. Would I make a differ amount than I did when I made 60k??

That didn't happen with me. When I went back to work I made less money than before the injury, not a lot less but still less. I worked construction on government projects that had to pay prevailing wages, when I returned (same company) I worked in the office so no prevailing wages apply. But I would still verify this with the SSA, just relating my story.