Thread: In the hospital with an Ileus... again

In the hospital with an Ileus... again

Are there any questions that I need to ask the doctor about this problem that are SCI specific? Regarding prevention...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Are there any questions that I need to ask the doctor about this problem that are SCI specific? Regarding prevention...
    When I was injured in 1982, I had an ileus while I was in acute care/ ICU, that resolved itself in a couple of weeks, but I haven't had one since.

From your profile, you were injured in 1990. I guess the obvious question is why is this happening now? What can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Do you need to have a colonoscopy or other endoscopy tests?

It is unusual to have an ileus that just occurs spontaneously in those with chronic SCI. Most often there is another triggering medical condition, such as a surgical procedure, infection (UTI, pneumonia, etc.) that triggers this. It would also be important to differentiate an ileus from chronic gastroparesis. Has your GI doctor discussed this differential diagnosis with you?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This happened last year during Thanksgiving week. Thought it was a rare fluke. They haven't mentioned doing any other tests since they took the NG tube out.

I haven't had anything happen before this aside from 2 weeks ago when I had some chicken from KFC gave me diarrhea. This occurred for three days and I took 3 anti-diarrheal pills. I then had about 6-7 days of nothing. Can an anti-diarrheal pill cause a suspected ileus? (I just remembered taking them as I wrote this reply.

I'll ask about the gastroparesis tomorrow.

Thanks...

I found that the medicine that I took for diarrhea does have a side effect of paralytic ileus/bowel obstruction.

http://cdn.neiglobal.com/content/pg/...nhydramine.pdf

One of the most painful thing ever experienced was an ileus. Was discharged from the hospital, went to a chess tournament and went right back to the hospital.

Never even made it home.

It is not fun. The medication could have contributed to the ileus when combined with gastroparesis of SCI. That is just my thinking. I have not read anything related to that - it seems to make sense to me. I would definitely ask about follow up - is there something that you don't know about that might be contributing to this?
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I mentioned to the doctors and nurses that I found a link between diphenhydramine and ileus. The nurses seemed interested but the doctors didn't seem to even hear me (which I found typical). Whatever the case, I'm going to stay away from diphenhydramine/Benadryl. If this happens again, I'll find out that I was wrong, if it doesn't, I'll be grateful not to need another NG tube (aside from the abdominal pain, the worst part of the ordeal). I'm supposed to schedule a follow up with the attending doctor but I'm not really feeling it. I'm still doing bedrest and hate having to do doctor visits lying on a gurney while EMT's stand alongside me, and secondly the doctor is not a gastroenterologist and most doctors around me don't really know SCI. If I have to explain AD and the difference between quadriplegia and paraplegia to medical professionals again, I'm going to charge them $250 per hour. I wish that I lived elsewhere.

I hear you. Please just take care of yourself.....
    ckf