Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure ulcer / colostomy

Pressure ulcer / colostomy

Hi. I had a peri rectal abscess drained in March. That wound is almost healed but I developed a pressure sore in July. It's not deep but has a 4.5 cm tunnel. It's not tunneling towards the abscess. Right now we're trying a wound vac. A plastic surgeon suggested I think about a colostomy. I rarely have accidents and when I do it's cleaned up immediately. Since the abscess was drained I haven't done my BP on the commode to allow that wound to heal. I just wanted to know what other reasons besides accidents would a colostomy help prevent sores. Also what are some personal experiences/opinions with switching to a colostomy. Thanks.

Tim

I had the same surgery done, and developed a tunneled pressure ulcer in the open incision. Long story short, after 2 years of trying to close the wound w vac, I switched to a reconstructive surgery and had a flap done. In his practice he requires a colostomy and suprapubic done prior to a flap surgery. I had neither but he allowed me to have the surgery without, and it was, thankfully, successful. I think the reasoning is to avoid infection, but also bc the required laying flat etc after surgery make bowel programs a little more complicated. Your surgeon may be considering a flap surgery. I would advise you to seriously consider it. A 4.5 cm tunnel IS deep, and as KLD and others have emphasized, a stage 4 ulcer will not heal (successfully) without a flap. My two cents!

Also some colostomies can be reversed, so that after a flap procedure, you can go back to previous method of bowel care.

Thanks for your input. Yea I had a flap done on a previous wound. Opposite this one. It was successful. I have a suprapubic. I wonder how those who have had a colostomy feel about it versus doing a BP. Easier? Harder? Are they glad they did it?

Quote Originally Posted by tfdowney View Post
    Thanks for your input. Yea I had a flap done on a previous wound. Opposite this one. It was successful. I have a suprapubic. I wonder how those who have had a colostomy feel about it versus doing a BP. Easier? Harder? Are they glad they did it?
    There is no comparison. I've had my colostomy for 3 years. For 24 years I did a 2-4 hour bp every other day. Now I do a simple 5 minute bag change when needed. My quality of life has improved so much. I have no limitations.

Thanks. So are your movements predictable? Odor?

I had a patient with the same presentation. All good information above. I agree that a colostomy would be in order.
    If you get a ostomy make sure you get an ostomy nurse who can educate and train you on all the details of managing one. That is the key to a successful ostomy placement
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

for me not really seems more like moring but its freedom total you learn ur body and ur need I never leave home with out extra and ways to change bagsbut its especially quad only way to go

Quote Originally Posted by tfdowney View Post
    Thanks. So are your movements predictable? Odor?
    With a colostomy you go when your body is ready to go. That's what makes it so much better. I used to pace myself when eating knowing I always had to wait for bc days. Now I eat whatever I want, whenever I want with no worries. With the one piece system I have there is no odor. It has a built in filter. Also they have a deodorizing liquid you can put into the bag if ever needed. At first it will take a little time to get used to it and to find the right pouch system for you but after that you are good to go. I honestly wish I would have had it done 24 years ago.
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 09-04-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks for the advice. It's a big decision and wanted some feedback.