Thread: HELP! Clintron nightmare

HELP! Clintron nightmare

I am one week post-op with flap procedure and just moved to skilled. I am on a Clinitron bed and after being on one for a week in hospital I can clearly see its not working properly. It is only 'bubbling' at the foot area and the sand is not fluidizing much anywhere else (if at all). I spoke to staff few hours in and later had the Hill-rom guys out and spoke to them personally. They stated the sedentary state of the sand was normal and we'd need to move me around more and needed to have staff continually knead the sand before it would begin bubbling normally. Seriously?? Isn't the whole point of this technology to relieve constAnt pressure electronically without constant manual manipulation?
    I have spoken to every aid and they've been so helpful and gracious and also mentioned my concerns to each shift nurse. My night shift aid came in hourly all night to 'milk' the sand per shift nurse's instructions and while it was more fluid its definitely not bubbling. Has anyone had this issue? I've convinced myself it's not right so I'd love some feedback before we talk to Hill-rom again today! Thanks in advance.

Suggest you request to be moved to a different bed; either that Hill-Rom (if they are the vendor) change out this bed completely (which is clearly not working right), or that the nursing home contract instead with a company such as KCI/Arjo-Huntleigh, which makes a comparable air fluidized bed for rental called the FluidAir Elite.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes I have had this problem in the past. The bed is definitely not fluidizing properly. It sounds like the sand has to much moisture in it and that is preventing it from circulating properly. The sand needs to be changed in order to get the bed working properly again. I'm not sure who the Hill-Rom guy was that you spoke to but what he told you is just wrong. If you are that close to post-op flap surgery you need to push to get this corrected as soon as possible. Keep pushing the staff and the service group. If you don't get anywhere with them try calling Star Medical (888-861-8612 or 484-633-1340). They provide service and maintenance for Clinitrons for a wide variety of clients, including in-home and skilled facilities, since Hill-Rom is getting out of that market.

I have used three or four Clinitron beds in the past year for a total of 21 weeks in them. Never had any situation where the sand did not disperse properly. I'd insist on a change over to a different bed. Are you/they sure all the functions are working? Are you floating or laying on the hard sand bed surface?