Thread: toenail fungus

toenail fungus

I see on the net that there are many types of treatments for toenail fungus/yellow toenails. I know it's going to take a long time to eliminate this, if I even can.

What's the best treatment to eliminate yellow toenails/fungus? I tried to treat them with tea tree oil, but it really wasn't doing much. I think an over-the-counter remedy is kind of working on some of them. I tried another over-the-counter remedy and it was very harsh. I haven't tried Vicks vapor rub,, but see it suggested as well. Will also try soaking my feet in vinegar water. I really don't want to take prescription pills for this.

Damaged nails and nails with fungus looks alike. How do you know it's fungus? My doctor couldn't tell. He sent a sample to the lab for test. I could have sworn it was fungus. It turned out to be damaged nail. No cure other than time.

I used Hydrocleanse on my toenails, and it cleared right up. Just squirt it on your toenails and let dry. I did this maybe 3 or 4 times and its gone.

Tough cases may require oral medication. You have to take it for 6-12 months for it to be effective. Topical treatments are unlikely to eradicate infection at the base of and under the nail. They may help for athlete's foot (also a fungal infection) but not really for true fungal nails.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.