Thread: Off-road Permobil

Off-road Permobil

I came across these 2 videos today, converting what I assume is an older Permobil into an off-road chair. I'm curious how easy it would be to swap out tirs, if it could cause any damage, and if the motors would be damaged by sand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4jX2Tf98I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSqXZ93Ba9U

Me Likey! Good question about the motors. That is extra strain on the drive shaft.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

I'm also curious to know where those tires and wheel assembly can be purchased

Anyone?

I have the same chair, going to do the exact same thing they did.

You'll have to machine a new hub to bolt to those style rims. I believe the motor shafts are 7/8". You also have to remove the plastic in order to fit the bigger tires.

Hope to have mine done sometime this fall yet if all goes as planned.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Interesting. I was hoping not to have to perform any modifications, as I only intended to swap them out as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
    I have the same chair, going to do the exact same thing they did.

You'll have to machine a new hub to bolt to those style rims. I believe the motor shafts are 7/8". You also have to remove the plastic in order to fit the bigger tires.

Hope to have mine done sometime this fall yet if all goes as planned.

What tires/wheels will you be using?

The motor shaft is 22mm, so not likely to fail.
    I would make a way to fit the new wheels, to the existing drive hub, using the 4- 8mm bolts that hold the wheel on.
    Putting a different hub on and off will introduce wear issues. the original hub is both glued and bolted on to prevent wear.
    That's how I have done it-also easier than making a 22mm hole, with a 6mm key slot, to fit directly to the shaft.
    You will have to have enough offset in the wheels so the tires don't rub the motors
    You might encounter some thermal rollback, in the controller, if you run on soft sand and get bogged down.
    Rnet is stronger, in that regard then Pilot Plus, but depending on your weight, might still be an issue.
    Good luck

Those are just bolt on rims you just have to find the right pattern for your chair.

Its like anything if you go slower you wont spin up as much sand and just clean up when your done.

You can find a ton of youtube videos of changing rims and tires to go off on sand, mud, dirt etc.

Using tractor tread tiller tires that I already have. I used these tires on a Wheelchairs of Kansas bariatric chair. They are gonna be a solid 2-3" taller than the current tires, which will be nice, as I can lower the seat height some.

I plan to have an aluminum hub machined to fit the motor shaft, and build it with enough offset for the new rims and tires.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA