Thread: Firefly users

Firefly users

Has anyone found a way to weight the front of the Firefly so it gets more traction and can go up hills better? Mine seems to have lots of power and battery time, but it spins out going uphill and really limits me. Thats my only disappointment. I'm thinking of just hanging wristweights on it to see if that helps.

My son got very good at pushing one rear wheel with one hand while still keeping the Firefly accelerating with the other hand. And he would zigzag up grassy hills, which helped.

You could try changing the angle of the Firefly - bring the front wheel towards you will put more weight on it.

(FYI the Dragonfly has significantly worse traction than the Firefly. My son was able to hire one for a week...I think he only used it once!).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

How would u make it closer? Would I attach it higher on my wheelchair?

You are not going to want to hear this, but changing your cog to put more weight on your casters is what is needed to add weight to the Firefly wheel. Chas went so far as adding a second axle to his wheelchair so he can move his wheels to the rear axle when he wants to use his Firefly.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by darlagee22 View Post
    How would u make it closer? Would I attach it higher on my wheelchair?
    Assuming you have the older version of the Firefly, you have 4 arms each with adjustable length. If they are all extended to some degree you can reduce the length of all of them, which will bring both the handlebars and the wheel closer to the chair. Or you can just reduce the length of the lower 2 arms (and/or increase the lengths of the top two arms), which will bring the wheel closer, not the handlebars.

I imagine you can do something similar with the newest model, but I've not adjusted one of those before.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You are not going to want to hear this, but changing your cog to put more weight on your casters is what is needed to add weight to the Firefly wheel. Chas went so far as adding a second axle to his wheelchair so he can move his wheels to the rear axle when he wants to use his Firefly.
    I think Chas owns a Dragonfly, not a Firefly? Which, as I mentioned below, is far worse for traction than the Firefly. (But I agree with what you are saying, but it's not always possible to do!).

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I think Chas owns a Dragonfly, not a Firefly? Which, as I mentioned below, is far worse for traction than the Firefly. (But I agree with what you are saying, but it's not always possible to do!).
    Absolutely, I got the names mixed up. Chas hates batteries. However he figured out the issue is to get one's body weight forward and the way to do that is to change the cog.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Having the second axle (mounted on amputee adapters) works absolutely wonderfully with my Dragonfly!!! Up steep (paved) hills, across parks, soccer fields, cemeteries

Loose gravel remains a killer though (because of tire width).

NO batteries
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I own a Dragonfly too, but my solution can help a firefly rider if he has the same 4 arms rigging.
    To put all the weight possible on the front wheel without using a 2nd back axle (It's the best solution I agree, but I should have it removable to still use my ZX-1?) I've made 2 legrest, very similar to handbikes.
    They are made of aluminium bent tubes and nylon straps. To mount the tubes on the arms, we used 2 BMX stems with 2 adapters specially machined to fit the diameter. I bought the stems on eBay 6$ each, and 50$ for the tubing and work.
    It gives a very noticeable amount of grip, now my front wheel is stuck to the ground !
    Of course I can understand this solution is a bit tricky and doesn't fit for you Darlagee. A friend of mine as a very powerful front wheel too, and when it starts spinning he leans on the handlebar as much as he can. It seems to work...
    Here are picts of my rig : (-edit- I don't understand why my picts have turned on the side ??)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by robotnik; 09-02-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

That's brilliant, I might try that. I don't use my firefly unless I'm going somewhere flat and paved. Otherwise it's almost useless to me on my farm.