Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valium

Valium

Anybody have any relief taking Diazepam. I've run through about everything else. Take something for a year or two and them it stops working or makes the pain worse.
    Took cannabis oil for two years, very helpful, but like the rest, it now makes it worse
    I'm really at wits end, with this pain. Don't keep a gun in the house, you can guess why.
    Kartom helps, but can only take it every other day or it makes it worse, so really need something else part time.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Valium may help with spasticity, but I have never seen it do anything for neuropathic pain except sedate the person so they don't complain as much about their pain. It also causes physical dependency when used for long periods of time, and withdrawal can be difficult and even dangerous.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Maybe being sedated would help. I've never had any relief without lots of sedation from opiates or anything else. I know about the withdrawals from a friend who went through it in the 70s.
    Probably grasping at straws, but my pain level makes leaving this world a nice idea.
    Every millimeter of new nerve growth leaves me with new level of pain. After six years of this, it's down to the arches of my feet. Am afraid to go to sleep, because when I wake up my feet will have blown off my legs. All the bones inside feel like so much pressure they will explode.
    Just another day in paradise.

I recently weaned off of Valium after 27 years. One thing that I noticed was some increased nerve pain. Perhaps I have been sedated for the last (almost) 3 decades.
    I am a little bit of a masochist so it doesn't bother me enough to wanna go back.

Glad to hear you take precautions, knowing that pain like that can turn to ugly thoughts. The photo you display shows a wonderful moment, and hope your family is supportive of your issues.
    Just wondering if you have tried a Pain Clinic and/or counseling - no matter if it's a distance away. If there are any other gnawing issues it may make pain worse.

I'm Polio paralyzed and hubby is T-10 para. He had been on Valium for two years when I met him 45 years ago. The Valium was "for spasms", and fortunately he has said he has not had neuropathic pain. All told, he stayed on this medication for about 8 years when concerns we both had caused him to taper off. He had very minimal spasms afterward, and has not used it again. I know you are asking about medication and can't help there, but just wonder if looking at all issues might help.
    Hope you let us know how it's going.

Yep. I take a combo of valium and methadone and it keeps my pain manageable. I have been on it for years, I am probably "addicted" but I am also addicted to not being in constant pain, I will quit when I can walk again.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Anybody have any relief taking Diazepam. I've run through about everything else. Take something for a year or two and them it stops working or makes the pain worse.
    Took cannabis oil for two years, very helpful, but like the rest, it now makes it worse
    I'm really at wits end, with this pain. Don't keep a gun in the house, you can guess why.
    Kartom helps, but can only take it every other day or it makes it worse, so really need something else part time.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Yep. I take a combo of valium and methadone and it keeps my pain manageable. I have been on it for years, I am probably "addicted" but I am also addicted to not being in constant pain, I will quit when I can walk again.
    Methadone is some strong medicine by itself, what do you think the Valium adds to the mix? Do you think the Valium by itself would help for pain, or is it mostly for your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Addiction is not the same thing as physical dependence, as I am sure you know. Saying you are addicted when you actually have a physical dependency with a drug like this just scares people away from trying it when they may actual benefit from a trial use.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Methadone is some strong medicine by itself, what do you think the Valium adds to the mix? Do you think the Valium by itself would help for pain, or is it mostly for your mind?
    To be honest I don't know, my belief is it is the combination. I take relatively low doses of both.

KLD - Fair enough I know the difference, I just get tired of people of people who don't judging me. Shouldn't bring my personal stuff into the discussion.

I used to take all sorts of meds for pain and spasms. None of them worked reliably for long. The baclofen pump was my answer to both pain and spasms. Once the spasms went away, the pain followed. One thing to note is that the pain started to decrease months after the spasms stopped. Hence, prior to the baclofen pump I never saw correlation between pain and spasms. But I know it now. I now enjoy better quality of life physically and mentally.