Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Featherlite Hand Controls

I thought about how to accommodate a quad when my buddy Ted, Mr. Sporto, got an Audi A3, same chassis as my GTI. The neat thing about these throttle position sensor is is that it's a small piece that can be incorporated into whatever hand control you fabricate. In my case the bicycle brake handle made it a slamdunk. I thought that perhaps the best for a quad would be a ball shape on the top of a vertical brake handle, that rocked on its center, viewed from outside the car, clockwise Idle, counter clockwise throttle.

Here is a quick sketch of the rocking palm of my hand accelerator. Actually you could build it around the Volvo sensor and use a very short link between it and the fabricated arm of the Volvo sensor. The sensor is almost robust enough to let it be the fulcrum but that would be taking risks.
    I don’t know what spring I put inside the sensor but my gut feeling is that would be all return spring you would need for this rig.

I would absolutely want to have a scheme where different muscle groups operated throttle and brake. The bicycle brake in the GTI and this scheme will do that.
    Any design that leaves you using the same muscle group for both functions will frustrate a high-performance driver real quick!
    In the GTI set up they are quite disconnected from another. I guess with the quad the best you can do is wrist and arm?

Pat-if you wanted to mess with it, I could send you this and a bunch of split shaft collars, small rod ends/heim joints, small spherical bearings, and a bunch of bicycle brakes and cable stuff. I can tell you that when you get to the point where squeezing a handle accelerates the engine gears start turning. It’s good to think things up in a vacuum, but when you lay hands to something like that, things become a lot more palpable and it seems to enhance creativity!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pfcs49; 09-20-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

???

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ???

Exactly. Well pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I thought about how to accommodate a quad when my buddy Ted, Mr. Sporto, got an Audi A3, same chassis as my GTI. The neat thing about these throttle position sensor is is that it's a small piece that can be incorporated into whatever hand control you fabricate. In my case the bicycle brake handle made it a slamdunk. I thought that perhaps the best for a quad would be a ball shape on the top of a vertical brake handle, that rocked on its center, viewed from outside the car, clockwise Idle, counter clockwise throttle.

Here is a quick sketch of the rocking palm of my hand accelerator. Actually you could build it around the Volvo sensor and use a very short link between it and the fabricated arm of the Volvo sensor. The sensor is almost robust enough to let it be the fulcrum but that would be taking risks.
    I don?t know what spring I put inside the sensor but my gut feeling is that would be all return spring you would need for this rig.

I would absolutely want to have a scheme where different muscle groups operated throttle and brake. The bicycle brake in the GTI and this scheme will do that.
    Any design that leaves you using the same muscle group for both functions will frustrate a high-performance driver real quick!
    In the GTI set up they are quite disconnected from another. I guess with the quad the best you can do is wrist and arm?
    Thanks for sharing all this knowledge, you have obviously put a lot of time and thought into this stuff.
    I was thinking all last night and this morning about your Volvo controls and how I could make them work for me. Now this ball pivot has got me intrigued. I don?t think I want to try and mess with the electronic side of it. I?ll just stick with a stock pedal position sensor. Unfortunately there are no stops or springs built into it, those are both built into the bulky pedal assembly.
    The possibilities are narrowed quite a bit though for me because I?m working with no hand, wrist or tricep function. My right arm is much better with decent hand function wrist and triceps but it?s busy with the steering wheel.
    As far as different muscle groups for brake and accelerator, I think I?m limited to push for brakes and pull down or ?rock? for accelerator. I?m used to the push rock so I think I?ll first try adding an arm to the pedal potion sensor much like your Volvo one and adding a linkage between it and the Sure-grips to give it more of a safer acceleration.

Pat-if you wanted to mess with it, I could send you this and a bunch of split shaft collars, small rod ends/heim joints, small spherical bearings, and a bunch of bicycle brakes and cable stuff. I can tell you that when you get to the point where squeezing a handle accelerates the engine gears start turning. It?s good to think things up in a vacuum, but when you lay hands to something like that, things become a lot more palpable and it seems to enhance creativity!
    PM sent.

PM got-I'll ship once we figure out how much stuff to send.

Pat-you should try to find male and female TPS (throttle pos snsr) plugs. Perhaps GM supplies them? Or get a wrecking yard to cut one out as far back as they can (more lead length) when they sell you another used TPS/accelerator pedal. I've excised the male end out of components many times to make test hookups in the shop. You probably can hacksaw the male off a junkyard sensor and save the sensor for "research", soldering 6 wires to it. You'll really want the male/TPS side plug so you can plug into the GM system with no wires cut/unmodified.

When you're to this point, you can figure out what each terminal does by checking resistances (find the ends of both potentiometers) and their polarities (see voltages of of these pairs w/ign on; B+ and B-/ground)
    The remaining two are the signal legs; you can distinguish them by taking a TPS and find which ground it works through by putting your meter on B- and S and finding continuity and if moving the sensor affects resistance.

Now draw two potentiometers and number them according to the plug markings or a diagram you make, 1-6, with and note by each number what it is, i.e.:snsr A: B+ B- S; B: B+ B- S. They may not be in logical order! VWs are in-line but wires are scrambled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrOhvSvKIhc

Record the sign on closed throttle voltages; full throttle voltages
    Record the resistance of both B+/B- legs (disconnected from the computer) and the idle/WOT resistances.

Then please report and post this info!! This will forward the conversation for all! And, possibly, open the door for cross-species breeding of new hand controls!

One thing we might explore (if your voltages are 5V) is to see if the tiny VW module would work (I think that's quite likely!). The VW module can literally fit in a matchbox!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 09-21-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    NW NJ

Hello All,
    So, I am having a bit of an issue and wondering if any of you have experienced the same thing. I am currently having a set of Featherlite controls installed in a 2017 VW Alltrack (Golf Wagon). I am a total motor head and personally think the idea of an electronic throttle is the way it should be. With that said I am a bit concerned as the install has not gone to plan. The installer is saying that VW did a mid year change to the harness and after 4 days there has been no resolution. Supposedly the Suregrip guys have been on the horn with VW to get this sorted but I have to say I am a bit concerned with the lack of progress. Have any of you guys experienced anything like this?

I have just bought myself a replacement for my Audi S4 (Manual Transmission) and went with a BMW 328ix Touring with the rare M-Sport package. I have found over the last 7 months that having a wagon just makes life easier hence me going with a wagon. Finding a wagon with any sporting intentions is not a easy ask here in the states as everyone wants a SUV, I just do not like SUV's save for maybe a Macan Turbo but that is not in my budget. After personally owning Audi's exclusively for 27 years it killed me to leave the family but I was just not interested in the Allroad, really wish we got the S4 Avant in the states. I hope I like the Featherlite controls and that the BWM's install goes easier.

Cheers,
    Jim

"The installer is saying that VW did a mid year change to the harness"

At my foreign car shop we stocked the multi-plug replacement leads with male and female ends as well as the most common (2 & 3 bays/terminals) housings.
    Before changing over my controls from the 06 GTI to the 2015, I ordered a throttle pedal for the 2015 and found that the receptacle was somewhat different as was the housing for the chassis harness. The 06 plug mated fine to the 2015 throttle. I plugged an early/06 pedal into the 2015 car and it worked fine/posted no faults, so I went ahead and did the swap-two years ago.

This may be the change that they're confronting..or not!
    Someone needs to enroll a cooperative VW parts person in checking part numbers over time and hopefully answering the questions.
    NW NJ

Alright....long story short I picked up the Alltrack yesterday, it was awesome to be behind the wheel of one of my own cars for the first time in 9 months.

It turns out the issue was actually a plug that was making intermittent contact deep inside the dash. It turns out that there was flashing on the plastic that prevented the plug from being completely inserted even though the plug "snapped" closed.

I only drove about 20 miles yesterday but I like the electronic throttle a lot so far, I think this was a good way to go and I do believe I will install these on the BMW. I just wish these things were not quite so agricultural looking.

Cheers,
    Jim