Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Featherlite Hand Controls

same van as mine, we have high top 2014. did you feel stock brakes were a bit light for this big van?
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    I switched my stock brakes on my Chevy Express Explorer van 1500 to EBC slotted and drilled rotors with the EBC green stuff pads. Braking was a big improvement however the EBC pads wore fast and left lots of dust so I switched to Akebono ceramic pads. What a difference, no more dust and better stopping.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have a lot more weight with the high top over stock as well though. my clamp is about 2 inches above the pedal. any lower and my hand hits dash from the longer throw. like I said I have gotten used to it but I know the braking could be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I agree, you should not be having a braking issue. I've used temporary type brake hand controls on both my 2005 and 2016 Chev Express vans and had no problems force wise. Those temps are connected to the pedal, that is they are connected to the rubber foot part of the pedal, not the shaft. So maybe it is possible I'm getting more leverage than you are if yours is connected on the shaft. It is something to consider. My wife has no problems driving the van since the rod is connected on the left side of the pedal (temp is mounted permanently).
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I have a lot more weight with the high top over stock as well though. my clamp is about 2 inches above the pedal. any lower and my hand hits dash from the longer throw. like I said I have gotten used to it but I know the braking could be better.
    If you're talking about the clamp that attaches to the brake pedal, and it's 2" above the pedal, that's your problem. It should be as low as possible to allow the most leverage. As far as your hand hitting the dash, that should be able to be adjusted.

yah, we have played with it. I have it as low as I can and still get full throw. theres not a lot of room in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    If you're talking about the clamp that attaches to the brake pedal, and it's 2" above the pedal, that's your problem. It should be as low as possible to allow the most leverage. As far as your hand hitting the dash, that should be able to be adjusted.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

What a shame. I have the regular Suregrip rock and push that was installed on my car just 2 years ago. While they work very well and take very little effort to engage the throttle, I would love to have these new Featherlites. When I first got them, they needed too much effort to push down on the accelerator but after a simple adjustment of locating the rod more at the top of the pedal for more leverage they are now "featherlite". Doing this may have one minor drawback, I don't think I can floor the accelerator 100% because I run out of rod length. However, my installer did a real good job of bending the rods to keep them as tight up against the dash as possible and I don't find them in the way at all. Incidentally, I live about 25min. away from the guy who invented the Suregrip hand controls. His name is Keith Howell. Keith is a good guy but the guy he hired to run his shop is kind of dick and we had a falling out so I can't bring my cars there anymore for installs.

Is everyone still liking their Featherlite controls? I am done with the push/rock controls and want to go back to right angle. The Featherlite's offer more leg room but are about twice the price.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."