Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Featherlite Hand Controls

My knee is hitting the gas rod when using my new chair. My installer is suggesting the Featherlite controls. It makes me nervous he has only installed one set and the product doesn't seem to have been out very long. I also like to keep things as simple as possible.

Kulea - did you decide to go with Featherlite or were you able to gather anymore feedback?
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I am interested as to how they the Featherlites' work as well. I just ordered as set on my trusted vendors recommendation. He said they are getting very popular because of the lack of muscle fatigue compared to MPD's mechanical controls. I also wonder how they are on ice and snow where you really have to have a feel for the vehicle as far as how fast you can go. Anybody use them in a cold climate?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    I am interested as to how they the Featherlites' work as well. I just ordered as set on my trusted vendors recommendation. He said they are getting very popular because of the lack of muscle fatigue compared to MPD's mechanical controls. I also wonder how they are on ice and snow where you really have to have a feel for the vehicle as far as how fast you can go. Anybody use them in a cold climate?
    I have modified springs in my cars gas pedals for extra light control...it is a lot better year-round with a lb or 2 force needed vs. whatever god-awful pressure is needed for your standard handcontrol gas setup.

I think both mpd and suregrip make these now.
    Andy, your a car guy, any recommendations on better/easier braking on a full size chevy van 2014.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Andy, your a car guy, any recommendations on better/easier braking on a full size chevy van 2014.
    I think in your previous van thread someone brought up the idea of bigger rotors and maybe 4 or 6 piston calipers from aftermarket sources (if doing a retrofit from say, a 3500 series GM van was not possible). I can say from my latest vehicle that idea definitely has merit. I did some quick googling for something like this from say Wilwood, but didn't see anything available for the GM vans. Which kind of sucks. I think you went though the process of a different higher assist booster from some place, unsuccessfully if I recall also. That sucks too. So I'm pretty much at a loss unless you can find someone to maybe retrofit the brake rotor/caliper/possibly spindle/possibly master cylinder/possibly more from a 1 ton/3500 GM van to get a higher capacity braking system. I'm sort of thinking at this point a different vehicle with better brake possibilities might be the best way to attack this problem. Yeah, that sucks too. Unless you can get someone more reliable to modify a brake booster for more assist using your existing brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think in your previous van thread someone brought up the idea of bigger rotors and maybe 4 or 6 piston calipers from aftermarket sources (if doing a retrofit from say, a 3500 series GM van was not possible). I can say from my latest vehicle that idea definitely has merit. I did some quick googling for something like this from say Wilwood, but didn't see anything available for the GM vans. Which kind of sucks. I think you went though the process of a different higher assist booster from some place, unsuccessfully if I recall also. That sucks too. So I'm pretty much at a loss unless you can find someone to maybe retrofit the brake rotor/caliper/possibly spindle/possibly master cylinder/possibly more from a 1 ton/3500 GM van to get a higher capacity braking system. I'm sort of thinking at this point a different vehicle with better brake possibilities might be the best way to attack this problem. Yeah, that sucks too. Unless you can get someone more reliable to modify a brake booster for more assist using your existing brakes.
    I'm used to it but always think in the back of my mind it should brake better. I need to replace brakes in spring I will go with the ebc setup. yah, the modded hydroboost was bullshit, did nothing.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm used to it but always think in the back of my mind it should brake better. I need to replace brakes in spring I will go with the ebc setup. yah, the modded hydroboost was bullshit, did nothing.
    I agree, you should not be having a braking issue. I've used temporary type brake hand controls on both my 2005 and 2016 Chev Express vans and had no problems force wise. Those temps are connected to the pedal, that is they are connected to the rubber foot part of the pedal, not the shaft. So maybe it is possible I'm getting more leverage than you are if yours is connected on the shaft. It is something to consider. My wife has no problems driving the van since the rod is connected on the left side of the pedal (temp is mounted permanently).
    Last edited by nonoise; 10-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Re pads...my car came with Brembo pads, they bit hard and stopped like nothing else. But they dusted like a MF'er making it hard to keep the wheels and sides of the car clean. So I switched them to Powerstop Z26 pads (popular for that genre of car). Dust much less and have a perceptible lessening of braking bite, nothing big, but you can notice it with operating the brakes with your hand. Long story short, maybe see if you can get some Brembo pads for the brake replacement. If not, see if you can get Powerstop z26/z23 pads as they are known good but with a bit less bite. No idea how the EBC's are, but thought I'd throw the Powerstop and Brembo option out there.

I just got push/rock Featherlites yesterday, coming from old style SureGrip push/rock, my initial reaction is hell yeah.

Not having the gas rod in the way is really nice. The best part so far is the reduction of the "throw" for throttle, and some maybe old van to new also. But my old ones took a rotation of about 160-170 degrees of rock to go pedal to the metal, new new ones are about 50 degrees of rotation. Makes it much touchier when taking off, easy to over accelerate, but it's only been one day so I'll get better quickly.

So neither knee is in the way now, when before I had to locate both legs correctly, the handle needed to go down past my left knee, and the "knuckle" on the right side of the assembly could whack me in the right knee.

Yeah I already had WTF? moment when leaving my friends house, had no power, oh yeah dummy, shut the van off restart and hit the button in time. Kulea, wish I had known this, wonder what it takes to reverse it? But I might leave it, I'll learn to do it automatically after enough times, where in reverse, my wife who drives it very occasionally would never remember that button with such small use. Frantic phone calls would be had.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Re pads...my car came with Brembo pads, they bit hard and stopped like nothing else. But they dusted like a MF'er making it hard to keep the wheels and sides of the car clean. So I switched them to Powerstop Z26 pads (popular for that genre of car). Dust much less and have a perceptible lessening of braking bite, nothing big, but you can notice it with operating the brakes with your hand. Long story short, maybe see if you can get some Brembo pads for the brake replacement. If not, see if you can get Powerstop z26/z23 pads as they are known good but with a bit less bite. No idea how the EBC's are, but thought I'd throw the Powerstop and Brembo option out there.
    I switched my stock brakes on my Chevy Express Explorer van 1500 to EBC slotted and drilled rotors with the EBC green stuff pads. Braking was a big improvement however the EBC pads wore fast and left lots of dust so I switched to Akebono ceramic pads. What a difference, no more dust and better stopping.