Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Featherlite Hand Controls

Featherlite Hand Controls

Does anyone use Sure-Grip's Featherlite controls? What are your impressions? Any issues with them? How do you like them compared with mechanical controls?

My initial thought was that an electronic accelerator was more prone to problems. But then, I realized that today's accelerator pedals are probably just tied into an electronic module that does the actual acceleration (no more mechanical linkage to the engine). So, if the hand controls are tied into the same system, then is there really a difference between the pedal and the hand control?
    Last edited by Kulea; 08-28-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    C-6/7 incomplete

These guys also have an electronic pedal bypass control...

http://www.veigel-na.com/en/main-vei...ght-angle.html

Electronic gas pedals are just variable resisters with 2 circuits for the car's computer to compare each other with to determine if something is going wrong, nothing special there. Then the computer modulates the throttle using this input.

The benefit is being able to install controls in smaller spaces like today's cars have. The big question is how much operating force needed these hand control makers are putting into gas function for 'safety'. And if it is better than regular controls with the gas pedal on the car 'adjusted' for hand-type usage.

And the ability to bypass weird activation buttons like the above version has

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    And the ability to bypass weird activation buttons like the above version has
    I think they all have some form of lockout/activation button so AB's aren't tempted to try to use the hand control (like if you use valet parking). Also, disabling the pedal prevents issues where a leg spasm could depress the pedal. I'm not sure why you find this weird. The systems remember your last setting, so you rarely have to use the button.
    C-6/7 incomplete

I was referring to the Veigel version button, which requires you to activate them every time you start the car. I haven't read how the Suregrip version works, but if that remains active unless you switch it back to the floor pedal, that sounds like a better system to me.

Very much like the push/twist hand control from SureGrip. Do have the weird activation button, doesn't bother me in the least. Yes I need to activate within 10 seconds of starting the vehicle every time. Never hit my legs when accelerating anymore and the twist throttle is easier (for me) to manage. It scared the crap out of me the first time but you get the feel of it quickly.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Very much like the push/twist hand control from SureGrip. Do have the weird activation button, doesn't bother me in the least. Yes I need to activate within 10 seconds of starting the vehicle every time.
    Are yours branded Featherlite? Both of these videos indicate that it stays in the same mode as when you turned it off. Perhaps yours needs to be programmed differently? Or, maybe it is an older version?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs8dUs5yT-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6RKPw9o-V0
    C-6/7 incomplete

Mine does not work like the video. If only all my problems were as easy to deal with as pushing a button to activate the throttle. I paid for Featherlite...99% sure it is Dave at Dignified Auto in Phoenix did a great job ordering and installing them over the phone without me being there.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

I took a look at the Featherlite website and saw this: "Spring tension adjustment allows for a hand control that meets your strength requirements". I think we may have a winner here compared to the Veigel version. Seems less bulky as well.

Heck, I think might have to look into these some more

I have the Featherlite in my Subaru and they work really well. Every once in a while, I'll forget to hit the button before taking off then be confused when I cannot accelerate, but it is really quick to turn on.
    My only complaint about the Featherlite compared to hard point hand controls is the lack of force feedback. If I am switching between my van (with regular hand controls) and the Subaru, I tend to floor it the first few times accelerating. Once I am in the groove, it works just as well as my other hand controls.

I just received a response from Featherlite. They said this behavior can be programmed by the installer to work either way. So, Rook98006 and ToastGuard, if you don't want to have to push the button every time you drive, then contact your installer and have them reprogrammed to the other behavior.
    C-6/7 incomplete