Thread: Reoccuring fungal infection/raw skin

Reoccuring fungal infection/raw skin

So I keep getting this reoccurring fungal infection/raw skin in my right groin and around my anus. I usually use antifungal cream but today I switched to Nystatin. I rarely ever have accidents and I'm making sure I'm wiped clean and dried off after the program

Should I treat this like a pressure sore and stay off it?

Is there something better than the Nystatin powder?

Gonna try to get a nurse out here tomorrow morning to check it out, but would appreciate some advice from the SCI nurse and anyone else 👍
    Male - early 20's - c5 complete since mid 2013

Nystantin comes in a cream or a powder. I generally like using a creams on wet fungal areas, and power on dry ones. Power just cakes up in the presence of moisture, and can sometimes make things worse. I prefer miconazole nitrate 2% cream (Lotrimin AF, Micatin, Monistat Derm, Daktarin, etc.) for dry fungal areas, and powder (Lotrimin AF and Zeasorb-AF) for "wet" fungal infections. If using powder, dust it on lightly, then brush away the excess. Don't cake it on.

Avoid wearing clothing (underwear, pajamas, adult incontinence pads, etc.) over the area when in bed; this lets more air get to the area.

Twice daily, get into a frog position without any clothing on your pelvic area. Wash the areas and pat dry. Stay in this position for 45-60 minutes to allow air to get to the area. Some use a hair dryer on cool; but be careful. I have seen some serious burns.

You may also want to look into using some Interdry fabric between layers of skin to wick moisture away as a preventive measure, esp. during hot summer months. It is also silver-impregnated, which is anti-bacterial and antifungal.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I generally like using a creams on wet fungal areas, and power on dry ones. Power just cakes up in the presence of moisture, and can sometimes make things worse. I prefer miconazole nitrate 2% cream (Lotrimin AF, Micatin, Monistat Derm, Daktarin, etc.) for dry fungal areas, and powder (Lotrimin AF and Zeasorb-AF) for "wet" fungal infections.
    You just said two different things. I'm sure you meant cream for dry fungal infections and powder for wet fungal infections, yes?

No, actually I prefer power for dry and cream or ointment for wet. Sorry for the error in my post.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

No, actually I prefer power for dry and cream or ointment for wet. Sorry for the error in my post.

(KLD)
    Alright. And should I worry about this opening up and turning into something like a pressure sore? Can I still get into my wheelchair?

Yes, you can get up and sit, but try to get out of your chair to get that area aired out several times daily. The cream or powder should be used twice daily.

(KLD)

Yes, you can get up and sit, but try to get out of your chair to get that area aired out several times daily. The cream or powder should be used twice daily.

(KLD)
    Okay. Thank you for always being on top of the forms and helping us out!