Thread: Extreme Nerve Pain

Extreme Nerve Pain

Any suggestions to relieve bad nerve pain? I've had it really bad for 3-4 days straight. It's bothering me in my hamstring area up to my glutes. I have spurts where I get it bad for a few days and it typically subsides but this is rough. I have a FES cycle which helps but it's a temporary fix. I take gabapentin four times a day with the following doses: 300mg, 900mg, 600mg, 600mg. My doctor said that it's the max dosage for a day. I don't know if I need to try a different medication or if there are other methods to relieve it. It seems pressure related. If I get on my stomach in bed it isn't as bad. And I have no signs of sores or anything pressure related. I know it's something to discuss with my doctor but unfortunately she's out of the country right now. Where I live the primary care doctors just don't understand SCI enough or I'd just go there. I'm C7 incomplete 3 years post injury.

Is your injury incomplete? It sounds much more like sciatica than typical neuropathic central pain. You could have a ruptured lumbar disc or other spinal root nerve impingement. A physical exam by a competent neurologist would be indicated, and an MRI may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Is your injury incomplete? It sounds much more like sciatica than typical neuropathic central pain. You could have a ruptured lumbar disc or other spinal root nerve impingement. A physical exam by a competent neurologist would be indicated, and an MRI may be needed to confirm the diagnosis.

(KLD)
    C7 incomplete

KLD.... Your response made me wonder. I experience similar symptoms to the ones described by ethant91.... burning, severe stabbing, tingling in my thighs, hips, and glutes. Sometimes I do something that aggravates it for several days and about the only thing that does anything is bedrest and/or applying cold packs to my mid to lower back. I am a 61 y.o.... L1 complete post 12 years stabilized from T8 to L3 male. There is a very specific point on my mid back very close to my injury level but offset to the left of my centerline that I can massage that seems to reduce the pain. When the pain is flared up my lower back is VERY tender. Actually my lower back stays very tender right at the transition line of where I can and can’t sense touch.

i take gabapentin 600mg 3x/day and cymbalta 60mg 2x/day plus which helps keep the pain lessened but it is always there to some extent. If I don’t take the gabapentin the pain increases dramatically so I know it is helping. I don’t like the drowsiness and fatigue it brings.

I am a stay fairly active but seem to have a cycle of 2 or 3 days of activity where I can tolerate the constant pain and then a day of bed rest is required to stop the stabbing and burning. Sometimes it takes 2 days.

My question is this..... can a pinched nerve below my SCI level (L1) cause sciatica that can cause the symptoms described above. Prior to my SCI accident I experienced low back issues including a ruptured disc and subsequent L5-S1 discectomy. In X-rays and MRIs since my accident it has been noted that it looks like my L5-S1 seems to be fusing naturally. Also I have SCI friends that have had hardware removed reducing pain Nd wonder how to determine if that is a possibility. Maybe a screw or rod rubbing constantly on a nerve root. Or scarring at the SCI sight. I had to have repair done to my dura at several places.

I realize I expanded my question here beyond wondering about sciatica being caused below my injury level but these are the thoughts running through my head. I will be seeing my physiatrists PA today to renew my scrips and plan to ask these questions there also. I’ll report back with their answers.

Thanks for any information you can provide that may be helpful.

Grange
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Not sure what the PA said, but the fusion that is occurring below the level of injury is probably due to the surgery that you had for the disc problem. That could be irritating that area, but you would need a work up to tell that.

As far as removing the hardware/screws, that is something that you need to discuss with your physician. It can potentially come out if the area is fused, but please remebr that I am not a physician and do not know the particulars of your case.

I would be interested in knowing what the PA says.

Keep us posted.

CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.