Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Hurricane Harvey

To all Texans living in the path of this storm- stay safe.

Have any of you registered with the Disability Service department of your local county?

We did, a while ago, and filled out a long questionnaire giving a lot of personal information about my husband's mobility and equipment needs as well as what sort of transportation he'd need to get out of a potential flood or high wind situation.

The end result of this seems to have been an e-mail we received today. Basically advising us to bag-up a couple days worth of supplies and medication and try to get to somewhere on higher ground.

Duh.

For those left without useable DME or catheters after the storm:

http://rsvptexas.org
    https://www.facebook.com/RSVPtexas/

Distribution date, time and location are noted.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 09-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.

For those who get their medical care from the VA, contact either the Houston or Dallas VA SCI Clinic and they will help you replace meds, supplies, and equipment, as needed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Volunteer legal assistance is available-

The Houston Bar Association will offer a free legal-assistance hotline beginning on Tuesday, September 5.

"Beginning Tuesday, September 5 through Friday, September 29, the HBA's LegalLine will have volunteer attorneys answering calls from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Extended LegalLine hours will be available from 5:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 6 and Wednesday, September 20. The public can call 713-759-1133 and speak to volunteer attorneys who will answer their questions, provide brief legal advice and refer them to appropriate resources for help. The attorneys will be able to answer questions on insurance, landlord/issues, contracts, lost documents, FEMA matters and other disaster-related topics."

The Texas State Bar also operates a legal hotline—(800) 504-7030—that helps people find answers to basic legal questions and locate recovery resources in the wake of a disaster. The toll-free hotline is answered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese and directly connects callers with legal aid providers in their area.

"Send Lawyers, Guns and Money"
    Warren Zevon

question we got Irma they believe will know later I am around Tallahassee I registered at the special neds thing but,,, now not much faith getting house ready that not much getting supplies and extra clothes for it

what else also what if your by your sefl I am mostly independent but I do require a little help looks like I be on myself I drive have van

for ypu that have been thru this what do I need to expect

Personally, if I had enough warning (like for a hurricane, not an earthquake which cannot be predicted currently) I would evacuate to a safer location rather than trying a questionable "shelter in place".

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

this would would be in Tallahassee its set up for special needs I don/t know juat never have had this we stayed last year cat 1 scarey as h.. but being by myself just asking as motels are out carpet and beds i

No friends or family you can stay with out of the hurricane zone?

(KLD)

vjls,

From what you've described, there's a Florida special needs shelter program that may be put into place for people during times of emergency. The only way to find out what type of assistance might be offered ,when you'd be notified, and how you'd get there, would be to call and ask them to look up your application.

If you absolutely have to shelter in your own home, make sure your neighbors know you're staying. Your neighbors and friends can be an important lifeline if they know to check on you. You'd mentioned that your home is elevated 19 feet? Still, consider having someone board up your windows to keep out wind-driven water and other debris.

Basic things to have ( Not at all inclusive, just off the top of my head ):
    Energy- batteries, flashlights, generators, portable charging banks for cell phone and computer.
    Food: Non-Perishables like tuna, crackers, nuts, jerky, those cartons of milk that don't need refrigeration,etc.
    Water- after a storm, local water can get contaminated so fill up containers with enough to drink, wash, clean and cook.
    Gas - fill up your tank.
    Clothing- local relief organizations often receive donations of dry clothes and shoes.
    Cash - Like gas stations, there was a run on cash machines here.

Stay safe please.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Basic things to have ( Not at all inclusive, just off the top of my head ):
    Energy- batteries, flashlights, generators, portable charging banks for cell phone and computer.
    Food: Non-Perishables like tuna, crackers, nuts, jerky, those cartons of milk that don't need refrigeration,etc.
    Water- after a storm, local water can get contaminated so fill up containers with enough to drink, wash, clean and cook.
    Gas - fill up your tank.
    Clothing- local relief organizations often receive donations of dry clothes and shoes.
    Cash - Like gas stations, there was a run on cash machines here.

Stay safe please.
    Just to add a few things from my earthquake preparedness kit to the good list provided above:
    crank or battery powered radios
    analog phone if you have working phone jacks...cell towers can go down in disasters
    extra Rx medications, bowel and bladder supplies
    emergency phone numbers
    gloves, plastic sheeting and duct tape to tape up blown out windows after the storm has passed - you may not be able to do this work but people who can help you will be ahead of the game with supplies available
    buckets
    evacuation backpack or duffle bag packed with essentials if you have to be evacuated

One rather macabre hint I heard during the height of Hurricane Harvey, write you name and social security number on your forearm with permanent markers to help disaster workers identify you if the worst should happen.

And echoing "2drwhofans, Stay Safe and All the best. Check in here to let us know how it goes.