Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Another thought...where is your generator located? If it is on the ground level, flooding will put it out of commission.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Personally, if I had enough warning (like for a hurricane, not an earthquake which cannot be predicted currently) I would evacuate to a safer location rather than trying a questionable "shelter in place".
    That's one option; but, Unless you've been told, by your local or state emergency services, that your zone needs to be evacuated, you'd just be another person clogging up the biways and highways for people that HAVE to leave. 'Shelter in place' is most often the safest option, unless you're in a zone that has been designated for evacuation.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    That's one option; but, Unless you've been told, by your local or state emergency services, that your zone needs to be evacuated, you'd just be another person clogging up the biways and highways for people that HAVE to leave. 'Shelter in place' is most often the safest option, unless you're in a zone that has been designated for evacuation.
    You and I are close. I'm a block from the Bay here in Norfolk. I've always sheltered in place often due to pets, etc. As for evacuation we are really bottle necked in with Bridge tunnels. They can't handle daily rush hour traffic let alone a mass evacuation. Hope our luck holds out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yes, I would agree for most people, but for someone with a significant disability, you can't be sure that you will have services available when "sheltering in place" in a serious disaster.

My friend who was flooded out in Houston can attest to this. He stayed in his house, as instructed, until water was lapping at the front door, then had a great deal of difficulty getting out. He was finally able to get out with two of his 3 wheelchairs (not his power chair) and could not take his new (and not yet insured) van, his son, and his dog, and had to spend that night in a friend's garage because his closest shelter was not wheelchair accessible. He got his meds, but no supplies, and actually ended up being admitted at the Dallas VA SCI unit after getting a ride to his family member's home in Dallas the next day. He lost everything (clothes, furniture, etc.) else.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

absolutely will and cannot stay no hurricane shutters and they saying 125 min here but still early have got about 10gals water gonna put in freezer its on second level get it ready as last time no power 5 day meat still frozen oso I am going to add about 15 gallons water tp freeze and help got lantern coleman stove clothes and supplies bags packed money supposed to get some tomorrow food did not think about that but hey I got plenty beans etc and dry milk

the generator will be readied tomorrow right now in house propane is in second level I am 19 feet up in air 20 feet from bay

windows can/t but there will be hurricane shtters near future surprised over 1/2 homes here don/t and they have been here since 90 I plan on leaving Saturday or sunday my friens are captain at sherrif dept

my sis and hubby are headed to newman ga then they fly to Colorado wed

hope this Irma keeps going right tks gas is an issue too

Stay safe please.[/QUOTE]

Recently sent a donation to Portlight Strategies after learning they provide assistance to disabled persons in situations like hurricane. I believe there's an 800 number if someone needs to register their needs with them.
    Just FYI if anyone wants to know, the Salvation Army apparently specializes in 'mobile kitchens' which I learned are provided to the Red Cross for their response activities.

Portlight Strategies only provides services in Texas.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Portlight Strategies only provides services in Texas.

(KLD)
    With all due respect, from looking at their website, it appears their offices are located in South Carolina, they sponsor conferences from Georgia to New York, and have responded or participated in helping local agencies respond to disasters in storm prone areas of the country.

Portlight Strategies, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization, founded in 1997 to facilitate a variety of projects involving people with disabilities, including post-disaster relief work. Portlight's longest running disaster recovery effort followed the devastation of Superstorm Sandy in the shore communities of New Jersey and parts of New York City, and lasted for 18 months. During that time, we replaced lost durable medical equipment and ramping, and assisted residents in purchasing and installing accessibility equipment that was made necessary after their homes were elevated to meet federal flood insurance requirements.

Through ongoing programs like our Getting It Right conferences, we are working to promote self-determination of needs and issues with respect to disaster preparedness and response. We foster community relationships with these agencies to promote inclusiveness in disaster preparedness and response plans and to demand provisions for transportation and shelter accessibility.

http://www.portlight.org/about.html