Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right lower abdominal pain

Blog Entries

Right lower abdominal pain

I am a 60 year old para & have been in a chair 40 years, have started getting abdominal pain lower right & it is continual and have to take sleeping pill to get sleep. I take senna for bowel & in the 8 months since symptoms started have lost a lot of weight (20kg) and am now down to 75.5kg as a am worried that what I was eating was effecting me. The psychologist & dietician (who put me on 2 wk FODMAP with no result) have taken the same approach.

The Spinal Unit have basically said it is about management and are looking at anxiety as the root cause, the diagnosis is likely a combination of neuropathic and functional motility disorder probably bought on by episodes of anxiety.

Comments on the diagnosis would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-25-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Better title

When did you last have a colonoscopy? Have you had any endoscopy procedures to look at your esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. 44 pounds in 8 months is a significant amount of weight to lose, without trying.

How does your bowel program work for you? Is it regular, good volumes, easy or difficult to pass.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply, as I said my diet has been very limited but the Spinal Unit said I am now at the optimum BMI for my height, unless I keep losing it of course then I might have a problem. Have had all the checks and there is nothing structural going on. The kick off may have been a chicken & mushroom pie from Chinese cafe I had 2 days before the pain started as I had tummy spasm at times during this period, then had some Digestive Bitters for the first time to try, after this pain really kicked in. My BM have been OK at times, but really changeable but this is possibly due to diet etc, the problem I find is for 40 years I have learn t the signals for my neurogenic bowel now having to relearn again because it has changed. Did 1 month BP under Spinal Unit direction months ago and they though things went well although they have no answer for the pain. I said at the time I knew how my bowel was meant to behave and what it was doing was not right.

You've been checked for appendicitis, inflammatory bowel disease and kidney stones ?

Blog Entries
    Had all the scans so I guess these sorts of things would show up ? Thought if it was functional that it may be IBS which is heavily effected by anxiety/stress, which does not preclude that fact that you actually have pain.

You wouldn't by chance take zinc supplements, would you? A few years ago I developed bad abdominal pain (lower right). After everything else was ruled out, I read about side effects from too much zinc. I quit taking it and the pain went away.

I recently began taking it again, so I'm making sure I remember my own past ailments.

FODMAPs is an acronym (abbreviation) referring to Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. These are complex names for a collection of molecules found in food, that can be poorly absorbed by some people. This diet is sometimes used for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). This is usually characterized by alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. Have you had that? Bowel or abdominal pain does not always accompany IBS.

"Digestive bitters" supposedly support your body’s ability to do its own job by prompting it to release digestive enzymes. They are a homeopathic remedy. They are not used in traditional Western medicine because they have no proven benefit.

How often do you do bowel care? What is your bowel routine (medications, diet/fluids, timing/frequency, techniques, special equipment)? What are your usual results? What was done differently when you were getting your bowel care done by the SCI Center? Were you an inpatient or getting home care services from them?

Did all your scans include an ultrasound of your gall bladder? Can you associate your pain with time after a meal, or specific foods? You may need to keep a diet and bowel diary to try to make any associations between specific foods and pain and bowel results.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Your profile doesn't give your location in the world. Where do you live?

I am assuming someplace in the UK from language and word usage.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    I am from New Zealand and I do bowel cares every day in the morning, the dietician who I spoke to on Wednesday understood that I have become somewhat gun shy with my eating. She said she wanted me to eat 2 meals I do not usually eat before she saw me next Tuesday. I went out and had Steak, eggs & fries and noticed by the afternoon my legs had bad spasm and tummy felt a lot more sore? (maybe the palm oil from fries) I usually eat porridge in the morning with coconut yogurt & some organic blueberries, lunch & dinner usually a mix of gluten free toast, sweet potato, carrot, green beans, alfalfa, pumpkin, spinach, cold chicken, steamed fish, or tinned tuna in spring water with occasionally a little red sauerkraut. I have normal & green tea with honey & have goats milk on my porridge & in my drink. I also try to drink a cup of bone broth everyday I make sure I have plenty of water and have 2 senna at night with some Movicol. I have been taking 20mg Citalopram for anxiety and 1 Zoplicon to help me sleep due to tummy pain. 2 year ago I was not taking anything and doing OK apart from roids. I only use raised toilet seat & Spinal Unit team have me using 2 suppository (MB) Feel like a bloody pill factory. I have come to the conclusion that you get to a certain point and mainstream medicine are completely hopeless, they shrug their shoulders and say manage it, why should they worry, it's not their pain. Must admit to eating a few chocs and licorice ( Had half packet which cannot be good) my bad, maybe I am to impatient.I also usually have a banana or orange or peeled apple.