Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uti

Uti

Has anyone still been incontinent 7 days after taking the antibiotic? My urine looks clear but am still leaking and am now holding 300cc more in my bladder. When I started it was very cloudy and was not holding 100cc. Wondering if maybe the med is not really working or what is going on. Maybe need to increase oxybutinyn.
    Last edited by Mike_Stan; 08-25-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Has anyone still been incontinent 7 days after taking the antibiotic? My urine looks clear but am still leaking and am now holding 300cc more in my bladder. When I started it was very cloudy and was not holding 100cc. Wondering if maybe the med is not really working or what is going on. Maybe need to increase oxybutinyn.
    As a regular practice, you should always have a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivty (C&S) tests about 2-3 days after you have finished the prescribed course of antibiotics. Sometimes a bacteria may be resistant to the antibiotic chosen by the physician and once the antibiotic has cleared our of your system, you need to find out if you still have the same bacteria and/or if another antibiotic may be more effective.

How long was the prescribed course of antibiotics? Before increasing the oxybutynin on you own, I'd ask the doctor about another round of urine tests.

Antibiotics prescribed for 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Antibiotics prescribed for 10 days.
    When (and it has been the longest time - knock on wood) I have had a urinary tract infection, my urologist prescribes 12-14 days, because he considers urinary tract infections in the spinal cord injured population "complex infections."

it has taken me almost a week to get some sort of back to normal volumes, i got prescribed 10 days of antibiotics but they just gave me 2 packs which is 14 days, i was thinking of just taking them all, but ive never leaked while having a uti just cant hold much and because of that i took mirabegron on top of my solifenacin to help with bladder spasms etc

Question about Culture and Sensitivity test. When this test is done is there a certain level of bacteria that causes a UTI? I was told that when we intermittent cath that there is always some bacteria present. If that is the case how do they know when should start putting you on antibiotics to treat you if you not are having symptoms of a UTI.

The purpose for doing a C&S for urine for someone with SCI is to identify the bacteria present, not really to determine the bacterial count, because as you say, many people with SCI have chronic colonization. In ABs we usually consider any bacteria a UTI (even a low count like 10,000/ml.). Even if you have 100,000/ml. (often reported), unless you have symptoms, it is not recommended generally to treat with an antibiotic (with a few exceptions).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Ok, had been wondering if you went up with symptoms of a UTI (leaking)how they would know if it was bacterial related or something else going like a stone or something else causing the issue. Went up a couple of times when I was incontinent and the physician kept putting me on antibiotics. The incontinence did not stop until I stopped drinking caffeine. So it left me wondering why the physician kept putting me on those antibiotics.

Sounds like a physician who is not familiar with UTI management in persons with paralysis. Over-use of antibiotics is a sure way to eventually develop colonizing strains of bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic used, which then precludes its use if the same bacteria proceed to a UTI.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Exactly but we don't have choices unless you are in a large city for specialized physicians. I would need to travel 3 hours to get to a specialize physician. These physicians think they are knowledgeable about treating UTI's and you find out they are not. Being prescribed antibiotics when I don't need them is a concern.

Kind of like hospitals who take care of stroke patients and think people with SCI is pretty much the same thing.