Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pneumatic tires which are best?

pneumatic tires which are best?

well here it is again Tire shopping time! i have had the hard rubber spot tires on since i got my chair they are dry rotted and starting to fall apart. Which tire is pneumatic tire is best both for rolling and for less flat tires. thinking about the marathon plus ones is that my best option?
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Ive been using these roadup tires i found on ebay and they have lasted longer than any others Ive used.

IMO the Marathon Plus is the best pneumatic tire out there. They're best when filled to at least 125psi, so you also need a high pressure pump.
    Pros:

• They last long; at least one year
    • They ride great
    • They look great
    • puncture resistant

Cons:
    • If you're a do-it yourselfer, when it comes time to installing them they can be quite a challenge.
    • Purchase install tools
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I have been using these for a while
    http://www.wiggle.com/schwalbe-marat...mtb-city-tire/

These are really bike tires but they last a long time I run them till there is a green streak around the whole tire. You would still get around 5000 miles on them if you run them till they are slick. I have an attachment(Stricker) so I use my chair to handcycle and most of the miles I am speaking of are road miles. The set I am running now have almost 8000 miles on them and the green guard is almost showing all the way around. Like I said you could get 5000 easy on them and almost flat free and that is riding on the road most of the time. Yes if you change your own tires you might find these difficult to do but a bike shop would have no problem. I run 559mm so that would translate to the 26 x 1.25 in this case

thanks guys having my DME install so not an issue but just wondering which one is better. i think i am definitely going with the marathon plus ones they quoted me 149 and change today but i forgot to ask which tire they were replacing with will definitely ask them i called today again and they haven't called back so will put another call into them monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    thanks guys having my DME install so not an issue but just wondering which one is better. i think i am definitely going with the marathon plus ones they quoted me 149 and change today but i forgot to ask which tire they were replacing with will definitely ask them i called today again and they haven't called back so will put another call into them monday.
    I do my tire swaps myself but knowing my last DME versus knowing several of the local bike shops, I would definitely have my bike shop do it over my DME.

149, huh? Is that including install? The tires are 89 at Sportaid. I'd make them charge that, plus whatever their cripple fee to install, is.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Much cheaper to have a bike shop install vs. a DME, and you may be able to order and purchase through the bike shop too. Of course if your insurance is going to cover this (rare), then you are pretty much stuck going through an approved DME.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

yes that was including install but they just have a generic pneumatic tire just got off the phone with them and requested the marathons she is going to get back to me. only thing is about taking to a bike shop KLD is right now they have those shox solid tires on them the first change i need the DME to do it then will most likely buy them off of sprotaid or bike on and then take to bike shop

UPDATE price is still the $149 so i am going on sept 1 when i get my check and having them put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    yes that was including install but they just have a generic pneumatic tire just got off the phone with them and requested the marathons she is going to get back to me. only thing is about taking to a bike shop KLD is right now they have those shox solid tires on them the first change i need the DME to do it then will most likely buy them off of sprotaid or bike on and then take to bike shop

UPDATE price is still the $149 so i am going on sept 1 when i get my check and having them put on.
    The bike shop should be able to cut those Shox tires off. If you don't plan on using them again, cutting them off is the easiest in my opinion.