Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a new cushion

Getting a new cushion

Hello,
    I have been using a Jay 3 with gel for many years now (Jay 2 before that). Knock on wood, no skin issues. Well, the cushion needs to be replaced. I was told that the Jay X2 was a good one. I see folks using the Ride Java too. Generally, I have stayed with gel because I don't want to/nervous about monitoring air (my tires are enough ).

So, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of the main cushions out there? I'm a T4 para who will use it in an old TiLite ZR (probably getting a new chair in the next 6 months too).

Thanks a lot for any input.
    Last edited by rye1945; 08-24-2017 at 07:04 PM.

The best is to get a cushion evaluation done with computerized interface pressure testing on a variety of cushions. There is no one "best" cushion for everyone...if there were, there wouldn't be so many different ones on the market.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This question comes up a lot. I personally have had good results with the Supracor Classic XS, possibly with the extra height option.

yah I'm with xs, supracor is good on my butt, 20 yrs now no issues. I have 2 going at all times, rotate and wash weekly. when you wash a supracor it fluffs back up.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I used a roho at first and then went to a jayx2 that has worked great. I've been having trouble finding a new cover for it though. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by royb View Post
    I used a roho at first and then went to a jayx2 that has worked great. I've been having trouble finding a new cover for it though. Any ideas?

i got a new cover for my jay2 about a month ago from bikeon
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Para T-10 post 20 years used the jay extreme for years. It was replaced by the jayx2 good cushion been using that for years. I have not had any skin breakdown because of my cushion. I think the jay2x is a good choice. I do weight shifts about every 20 minutes which helps.

Rye1945,

Regarding “... been using a Jay 3 ... (Jay 2 before that) ... I was told that the Jay X2 was a good one … I'm a T4 para ...”

The Jay X2 differs substantially from the J2 and J3 with which you are already familiar. The Jay X2 can be likened to a cost-reduced version of the older Jay Active cushion (e.g., the X2 has roughly half the gel of the Active model). The X2’s foam base structure differs substantially in contouring and material from both the J2 an J3 foam base structures.

The Supracor cushion referenced by xsfxsf and fuentejps (i.e., Supracor Stimulite Classic) is an excellent cushion, and as a T4 para you have a high probability of a Supracor Stimulite Classic cushion being a great cushion for you. Be aware; however, that Stimulite cushions are a bit more firm than the J2 and J3 with which you are familiar, but a Stimulite could still be better for you for other reasons (e.g., breathability, cleaning, wet environments, weight, etc.). Additionally, four hours on a new Stimulite Classic is not indicative of how it will work for an individual over time. Unlike most top-side gel cushions like the J2 and J3 which “fit” your bottom immediately due to the malleability of the gel, The TPU honeycomb structure of Stimulites exhibits a break-in period (unique to each individual) of three or so weeks before they “fit” you.

You really won’t know what cushion works best for you until you try them for long enough to get beyond the associated break-in period.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    yah I'm with xs, supracor is good on my butt, 20 yrs now no issues. I have 2 going at all times, rotate and wash weekly. when you wash a supracor it fluffs back up.
    Yep, I keep a couple around too. Awesome cushion for me, although I have issues cathing while on one, especially the Contour XS, with its medial hump, compressing my taint a lot. 1 out of 3 attempts won't insert far enough, and come out bloody. Not cool.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

YIKES, I only use the classic xs. no cathing issues on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yep, I keep a couple around too. Awesome cushion for me, although I have issues cathing while on one, especially the Contour XS, with its medial hump, compressing my taint a lot. 1 out of 3 attempts won't insert far enough, and come out bloody. Not cool.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer