Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a new cushion

Quote Originally Posted by fasdude View Post
    My Rohos have been getting a lot of punctures lately, so I've decided to give the Supracor Stimulite Classic with the XS option a shot, but I have relaxed the fabric seat pan on both my indoor and outdoor wheelchairs. So does that mean that I should get the "sling bottom"? I'm not sure what the "sling bottom" option is and I can't find any pictures of what that looks like using Google Image Search.

(Having a T4 SCI for over 28 years, I too am skin and bones back there.)
    As I understand it, the sling bottom has an extra little thin piece stuck on the bottom to accommodate the slump of the cloth sling. Personally, if Roho works for you, I would not change even though I use Supracor. I'd try to figure out the cause of the punctures instead.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thank you, Kulea, for your comments about pressure mapping. So many comments on CC regarding seating/cushion issues. I feel not enough is being done on this important topic in the field of rehabilitation professionals. A perfectly mapped cushion may be only one part of skin health. I'd like to see more information about skin inspection, nutrition, transfer techniques, pressure relief, etc. Perhaps all these issues should be addressed by various professionals at a Wheelchair Seating Service.

As a paralyzed person with sensation (Polio), I am constantly moving/leaning, lifting with elbows, to stay comfortable in my chair. It seems like I move around every minute or so to avoid the burning sensation. If I fail to keep moving because I'm totally focused on some project or another, I will definitely develop a blister on my bottom, then spend a week getting it to subside. After trying numerous cushions over the years, and pressure mapping, I am awaiting delivery of a Ride Java, which will be the first cushion I'll try with a "pit" in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    As I understand it, the sling bottom has an extra little thin piece stuck on the bottom to accommodate the slump of the cloth sling. Personally, if Roho works for you, I would not change even though I use Supracor. I'd try to figure out the cause of the punctures instead.
    I honestly don't think Roho's quality is as good as it was. 5 years ago I had a quadtro and I was constantly repairing it. After that, I got a single compartment High Profile Roho. It had been doing well until about 6-8 months ago, when I started getting a bunch of pinhole leaks but no sand granules. (In the past the only reason I was getting pinhole leaks were from grains of sand that were coming in at the open corners. The heavy duty "incontinence" cover solved that problem.) I've always had short arms and struggled with my weight so transfers have never been super clean. I got hit by a van while crossing the street in 2007 and it really F'ed up my back so I stopped working out and lie down a lot when I'm home. So I've gained about 40lbs at my gut and consequently my transfers have gotten pretty sloppy. All the pin hole leaks happen on the leading edge and front corners of my cushion. Grinding my bony ass against the front of my cushion during transfers is what I figure is causing all these new pin hole leaks.