Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kidney stone

kidney stone

i have a kidney stone my doc said i should pass it but how can i pass it if i use a catheter its 3millileters in size or 3 m something

my spasms have increased and my back kinda hurts

doc said if gets worse or bloody urine call her
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

When a physician says a kidney stone will pass, they mean they think it will pass from the kidney down the ureter into your bladder. This can be an extremely painful process, and can cause blockage of the ureter and bad AD. Stones can get stuck in the ureter as well, and may require a ureteroscopy or stent placement to pass. Once it gets to your bladder, you may need to have it removed from your bladder through a cystoscopy, since I assume you do not void, and only empty urine via a catheter. 3mm is pretty small, but may not pass through a catheter. Stones are measured by millimeters (mm) not millileters (ml).

I think you should have another discussion about the stone management with your urologist.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My urologist and I have been monitoring a kidney stone that exact size, 3mm. So far it hasn't gotten any larger but he doesn't seem to think it is a potential problem yet.

Stones that don't pass may continue to grow in size, and can block urine flow from the kidney, or start to damage kidney tissue. They also can harbor and protect bacteria from antibiotics, so can cause recurrent UTIs. If you are having these types of problems, a stone should be surgically removed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

thanks for the eplys she is gonna monitor it and im suposed to call if any troubles occur

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    When a physician says a kidney stone will pass, they mean they think it will pass from the kidney down the ureter into your bladder. This can be an extremely painful process, and can cause blockage of the ureter and bad AD. Stones can get stuck in the ureter as well, and may require a ureteroscopy or stent placement to pass. Once it gets to your bladder, you may need to have it removed from your bladder through a cystoscopy, since I assume you do not void, and only empty urine via a catheter. 3mm is pretty small, but may not pass through a catheter. Stones are measured by millimeters (mm) not millileters (ml).

I think you should have another discussion about the stone management with your urologist.

(KLD)
    thanks i knew it began with a m just couldnt remember what the word was

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    My urologist and I have been monitoring a kidney stone that exact size, 3mm. So far it hasn't gotten any larger but he doesn't seem to think it is a potential problem yet.

how long yall been watching yours

At least a year and a half now, probably longer. I get a KUB (kidney, ureter, bladder) X-ray about every 6 months to evaluate any progression/concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    At least a year and a half now, probably longer. I get a KUB (kidney, ureter, bladder) X-ray about every 6 months to evaluate any progression/concerns.

i get the same test do you notice any increase in spasms

I would say just in general that my spasms have gotten worse over the past 9 years but I'm not taking baclofen or anything for them. I think it is just from being in the chair longer and putting in longer days, mixed in with me not exercising for hours on end like I used to. I have heard from other SCIs that when they had a drastic and sudden increase in spasms, and after ruling everything else out, that the x-ray was then done and they attributed the spasms to the stone. But I don't know at what size that it really becomes a problem.