Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money for a vehicle or wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    All of my vans were modified through Ohio's Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR) since I am full-time employed. Some time ago, someone posted here that their automotive insurance covered vehicle modifications. Which sounded to good to be true! I called my insurance agent at Statefarm and he told me, "Yes, vehicle modifications are now covered." You may want to call your automotive insurance company.

I never heard of any organization either local, state or federal that purchased a vehicle for a person with a disability.

Ti
    I think you are mistaking the insurance company paying for the modifications with covering (insuring) the modifications.

There are organizations that have purchased modified vans for disabled Veterans, but I agree, there are not charities out them buying vans for anyone with a disability. You can often find good deals for used though.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've been trying to fundraise online for a year now, and have only gotten 10% of the amount I'm aiming for. Trying to get a used Sprinter to put a lift in, rather than a mini van with lots of mods. It's tough. I'm thinking maybe writing letters to various organizations and reaching out.

As a retired VR counselor I suggest you set up an in-person meeting ASAP with your counselor, your counselor's supervisor, and (hopefully) a support person of your own choosing - friend, relative, etc. State what you need, when, and why. In this way you are taking some control of the situation.
    I always had 80 to 100 clients at a time, with about 8-10 paralyzed wheelchair users. I can tell you for sure that the squeaky wheel gets attention!
    Please try a more aggressive/assertive approach to your VR issues. I was always grateful for clients who stayed on my tail, as it was difficult to keep things moving with so many clients.
    In my experience, van modifications may be covered; rare that I helped someone with a wheelchair as there was mostly other coverage; the college completed an analysis of "need" for tuition or books and the VR counselor used that document to approve some or all of those costs.
    When services are agreed upon, the client's file contains a 'Plan' that states specifically when and what services will be provided. Your goal is to have that plan in place with a copy for you and one in your VR file. I don't know if you have such a plan yet.

If all else fails, VR is a Federal Government program, so of course, you can call your Congressional representative(s) to discuss your problem. They need to know whether an authorized government program is doing what it was set up to do: Help disabled individuals gain skills, education, etc. to enter the workforce.
    Hope you let us know how this progresses.

I had Vr pay for my van-I paid for the van with just the side ramp, Vr paid for everything else)controls, installation, evaluations,etc). I got a new tdxsp at the same time-also paid for by VR. That was 6 yrs ago, recently my chair was starting to have issues, I went back to Vr, and I just got another new tdxsp paid for by VR. No hassle at all. So I guess where you live they are tough to deal with
    - Rolling Thru Life -