Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow leaking roho

slow leaking roho

Here's a legit question that I wonder if anyone has experimented with. I have a slow leaking Roho cushion. Can't hear it, can't see it leaking. Tried water test, tried Windex soap suds test. No luck. By the end of the day though, its in need of a refill of air. Checked the valve stems for tightness. Getting frustrated. My question is, can the substance used for fixing tires called "Slime" be used in a Roho to seal it off? Anyone ever try this?
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I've had the same issue. I've even had the issue come and go with the same cushion. Unable to ever find the slow leak.

That slime would probably be a disaster on the inside of your cushion. Not only would there be clumps of it inside the cushion it probably wouldn't even fix the leak.

If it ever happens to one of my Roho cushions again, now that I have backups, I'm going to pump that sucker up until it has to leak. The only way I can think to really find it.

When putting the cushion underwater, are you adding at least 100 lbs weight on top of the cushion to simulate your body weight?
    Last edited by August West; 08-21-2017 at 06:22 PM.

August West: While under water I did apply weight/pressure. Not sure just how much but, I doubt a hundred pounds worth.

NorthQuad: I did over inflate a Roho once with a compressor. It blew off most of one of the fingers as it over inflated. Needless to say, that pretty much ended the life of that one.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

It seems Rohos are like tires. They all leak slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    NorthQuad: I did over inflate a Roho once with a compressor. It blew off most of one of the fingers as it over inflated. Needless to say, that pretty much ended the life of that one.
    Haha! Yep, I could see that happening.

inflate it as hard as you can by mouth-pinch the neck and don't loose any air-it should curl up a lot.
    Then spray it with Windex, moving carefully and checking all places there is pressure, including the inflation neck.
    I've had good luck finding my two leakers this way.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Slime and other tyre sealants have a life span inside the tyre (about a year) , they also need to be spun to evenly coat the inner tube. It will just pool to the bottom of a Roho and will be useless. You won't be able to clear out the old sealant, you can throw an inner tube away. You will need a lot of weight to simulate sitting, a loaded cushion has about 5 times the pressure of the unweight cushion, hence one of the difficulties of making a pressure gauge for them.

I have had this happen. It gets frustrating. You almost have to hold it under the water and move each cell around which isn't the easiest thing to do looking for the bubbles. The leak is at the edge/bottom of one of the cells. Lot of times I hear the leak and it is still hard to find. If you find it I have found a couple of layers of Shoe Goo great for fixing those areas where it is hard to apply a patch.

Hi bigtop1,

I agree with others - don't use the Slime. I think the best test is an overnight one. Remove the cover, and using the provided ROHO hand pump overinflate the cushion until it literally curls around itself almost forming into the shape of a ball(if you use a QUADTRO Select or Contour Select model, you need to shift the ISOFLO control knob to the open position). Let it sit in that hyper-inflated state overnight. If there is any leak, the cushion will not maintain that same "curled up / round shape" form by the morning. If under that internal hyper-pressure state the cushion does retain it's curled up shape, you should be good-to-go. If you do find that the cushion does have a leak, contact the ROHO customer care department.

Good luck!

Tom