Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ha, I noticed the temperature drop also, lol. Pretty neat. I had a sheet of paper and binoculars to project the eclipse for when it was too bright, which worked, but the neatest was the clouds tempering the light for ideal viewing
    I did the binocular thing too, but used a tripod for stability. The binoculars were pretty much in direct line between the image and the sun. But, and this makes no obvious sense. But the two lenses, incoming and outgoing whatever they are called did not line up in the path I just described. They were at least 20 degrees out of line. Being out of line made it a little difficult to set the tripod up since I could not point the binoculars at the sun. I had to point it 20 degrees or so away from the sun. I don't understand it. The light rays to the binoculars are somehow different than those to me?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Ha, I noticed the temperature drop also, lol. Pretty neat. I had a sheet of paper and binoculars to project the eclipse for when it was too bright, which worked, but the neatest was the clouds tempering the light for ideal viewing
    I peaked naked eye, but at that time we had moved to a clear sky area. Someone handed me solar viewers for a moment, so I saw it four ways, naked peek, solars, binocular projection, and pinhole projector. We took a picture of binocular projection.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    They were at least 20 degrees out of line. Being out of line made it a little difficult to set the tripod up since I could not point the binoculars at the sun. I had to point it 20 degrees or so away from the sun. I don't understand it. The light rays to the binoculars are somehow different than those to me?
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Total non-aiming thing going on with my binoculars also, weird.

Blog Entries
    A shot from my neck of the woods, done with a Nikon DSLR camera (had the view screen turned so only the camera was looking at the sun and moon)

A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

I traveled from Chicago to St Louis to be in the path of totality.

I agree, it's pretty boring unless you're able to view the TOTAL ECLIPSE. Watching the moon slowly move over the sun for 90 minutes was boring as hell. Things only started to get interesting then the moon was 90% blocking it.

It started to get dark. But not a normal evening dark. Like an unnatural dimming of the universe. When it was completely covering, it was like bright moonlight, but the color of the sun. Also very weird. The birds stopped chirping and the crickets came out.

Just before and just after totality there were these weird shadow ripples passing over the ground. Like fast water ripples, but in shadow.

The actual eclipse looked exactly like the pictures. Bright white ring around a pitch black hole. With streaks of light shooting out from the ring.

The best and most interesting part of the eclipse only lasted for 3-4 minutes, but it was pretty cool. Kind of like a cosmic magic trick.

Was it worth the trip? I think so. I hadn't been to St Louis for a while - went to some museums and ate a lot of ribs. I took the train so I could read and sleep, etc.

I enjoyed watching others watching the eclipse more than the actual eclipse.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Last edited by gjnl; 08-22-2017 at 12:28 PM.