Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Double Edge razors safer?

Are Double Edge razors safer?

Have always preferred shaving in the shower with a disposable or cartridge razor. Considering trying a double edge razor. How much did you spend on your double edge razor? What kind of blades do you like best?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

I used them for years, years ago. Then I had a Braun electric. Then, before my accident 22 years ago, on to Schick TRAC II.
    I'm happy w/trac2. I think there's more likelihood of nicks, and bigger nicks with double edge razors.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I need other people to shave me, which is sometimes scary, but I use an under $30 Edwin Jager model number DE89. It's a closed comb style that doesn't expose a large portion of the blade so it would be good for a beginner to double edge razors. Before that was a "milder" vintage Gillette previously owned by my grandfather. For my face, I prefer the Astra Superior Platinum blades which I purchased from Amazon for around 10 cents a blade. I've tried all kinds of blades from Feather, Derby, Gillette, and many, many others whose names I can't recall at the moment. You can purchase assortment packages online with blades from literally across the globe.

It is so much cheaper and easier on my face than the multi-blade cartridges as long as you don't apply much pressure. The real costs come in when you purchase a shaving brush, creams, pre-shave lotions or oils, etc. I use "Taylor of Old Bond Street" shaving cream for sensitive skin. It's about $15 for a 5.3-ounce tub and lasts a very long time (months). Depending on materials, size, or style, a shaving brush could cost anywhere from $10 to a couple hundred dollars which is absurd.

Good luck!

That sounds more affordable. Amazon had several shaving sets over $200. What the hell.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

What about electric, rechargeable razors. Some can be used wet or dry.

Double edge razor? Used them back in my younger days because that was all there was unless used straight razor.
    I quit shaving and when beard gets to borthering me get it and hair cut by Mama or the lady that does her hair down to about 1/2 to 1" long with electric clippers.. That way it's quick and less risk of nicks to my ears, etc.

By double edge, I assume you mean safety razor.

If you mean safer, I think you have to define safer than what. While I haven't used them, the physics seems less safe than a modern cartridge razor which you can basically run over your balls dry forwards and backwards and might not even get a nick.

IMO safety is the wrong word. I respect people who use a safety razor though, it takes a bit of skill and some unnecessary style sensibility.

Myself I don't really shave any more (letting the beard do it's thing), but when I had time to properly shave I have a straight razor by boker similar to this:

It's a thing of beauty when done right. The razor was a bit over $100, and you need a strop ($50-60 for a cheap one), and if you're really dedicated a whetstone ($30 and up otherwise you will need to intermittently send it off to be honed professionally). Then you could literally shave with the same razor for the rest of your life. No additional blades to buy, ever. Literally tens of thousands of shaves in one of those finely crafted Sholingen blades.

There's something romantic and satisfying about maintaining an incredible sharpness to a blade that you run over your carotid arteries every day. By far a straight razor shave with my razor honed by myself is the closest shave I have had thus far in my fifteen to twenty years of shaving and is likely to be the closest shave I'll ever have. Though the closeness of the shave is probably due to the fact that the blade I honed and freshly stropped is the only one I would trust to shave me against the grain for that extra closeness. I might do that with a brand new cartrige razor (or safety razor), but I would never consider it with any blade that hadn't been honed or at least stropped in the past two or three shaves.

A straight razor shave is likely to garner you a few additional nicks and scratches as you learn the intricate contours of your face (assuming that's what you're shaving), but just keep a Styptic pencil handy and at least you won't leave the house still bleeding or with bits of toilet paper sticking to your face. But in reality if you've got a reasonably steady hand and a little patience after a few dozen shaves nicking yourself is at least as rare with a straight razor as with a modern cartridge razor.

However, a straight razor shave takes time (which is woefully short for me at the moment, as seems to be the case with everyone, everywhere, at all times). It probably takes me a good 30 minutes to give myself a proper shave with a straight razor (strop, develop a lather with a brush and shaving cream that's not from a can, shave with the grain, rinse face with hot water, lather with brush again, shave against the grain, apply Proraso aftershave balm, dry razor thoroughly, strop, put razor away in a room that isn't the bathroom). And in a hurry, I doubt I could do it in less than 15 minutes if I skipped the second lap against the grain and just did enough for government work.

All that verbosity to say, I fully endorse and agree with your apparent decision to start wet shaving with a safety razor and the necessary accoutrements. And I eagerly look forward to your inevitable upgrade to a single carbon steel blade which you maintain as if your face depended upon it.

Also

http://straightrazorplace.com/shaving-safety-razors/

is a huge source of knowledge and support from beginner to the most esoteric technique that requires decades of practice.

...Damn, I need to dig my straight razor out of the back of the closet...

I have two Gillette safety razors that I inherited when my grandfather passed, similar to this one. I have a big beard but I use the razors to shave the whiskers on the top of my cheeks. I think it is more cost effective as long as you flush the blades well after using. And some of it is nostalgia... If my grandfather could use it while he was a machine gunner in the Korean war, then yeah, it's good enough for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Everybody has their opinion, but it's not that complicated. Watch a few videos of this guy on YouTube. He has a lot of good information I wish my father would've told me when I was a teen.

Best way to shave with a safety razor.

Another tutorial.

Finding the proper angle.

How to shave your trouble spots.

If you want to give this route a try I would recommend the following razors: Mercker HD or the Edwin Jager DE89. Both are rather forgiving if your angle isn't quite right. The main things are:

1. Practice until you find the right angles and passes for all the different areas of your beard.
    2. Don't use too much pressure!
    3. Get an assortment of blades and find one that's comfortable. Feather blades are manufactured in Japan (I think), claim to be the sharpest in the world, cost about 50 cents each, and will irritate the shit out of my neck! For some reason, the Astra blades do not and are cheap enough to toss after every shave.
    4. Buy some decent shaving cream like I posted above. Stuff that comes out of a can is crap. Shaving soaps are okay, but for me, the cream is less irritating. I started with a tub of Proraso which left a soapy residue on my face every time I used it.
    5. Don't be in a hurry! 30 minutes sounds reasonable once you get the hang of it.

That's basically all there is to it. I am a quadriplegic and have been able to train people to shave me. It's not rocket science.