Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Message from PVA about Airplane Travel

Message from PVA about Airplane Travel

Received this from the PVA (written by Sherman Gillums, the executive director, who used to be a member of CareCure):

Dear XXXX,

I am pleased to report that Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) recently introduced the Air Carrier Access Amendments Act (S. 1318) in Congress. For thousands of paralyzed veterans, it's about time.

This is an important first step for airline passengers with disabilities. Now we need you to please ask your Senators to co-sponsor this pivotal legislation and keep this campaign moving forward.

As you may know, the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 was intended to make air travel more accessible to people with disabilities. Sen. Baldwin's bill takes the issue a step further with stiffer penalties for damaged wheelchairs, new airplanes that meet basic accessibility standards, and an Airline Passengers with Disabilities Bill of Rights.

Together, we can make flying safer and easier for paralyzed veterans and anyone with a disability.
    Until then, people with disabilities will continue to face too many barriers to air travel. Airplanes are inaccessible. Wheelchairs are lost or damaged. Lifts are broken or unavailable. Enough is enough.

Contact your Senators today and urge them to cosponsor the Air Carrier Access Amendments Act (S. 1318). Thank you!

Sherman Gillums Jr.
    Executive Director (and paralyzed veteran)
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Since we have had so many discussions about the problems with the Air Carrier Access Act here, I thought some members might want to contact their Senators to support this legislation.

(KLD)

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Here is the complete text of the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1318/text

Section 9 is especially interesting:
    SEC. 9. Study on in-cabin wheelchair restraint systems.
    (a) In general.—Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Access Board, in consultation with the Secretary, shall— (1) conduct a study to determine the ways in which individuals with significant disabilities who use wheelchairs, including power wheelchairs, can be accommodated on board aircraft through in-cabin wheelchair restraint systems;
    (2) issue minimum guidelines for such systems; and
    (3) submit to Congress a report on the study.
    (b) Regulations.—Not later than 180 days after completing the study required by subsection (a), the Secretary shall prescribe regulations consistent with the findings of the study and minimum guidelines issued by the Access Board under subsection (a)(2).

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Here is the complete text of the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1318/text

Section 9 is especially interesting:
    SEC. 9. Study on in-cabin wheelchair restraint systems.
    (a) In general.—Not later than 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Access Board, in consultation with the Secretary, shall— (1) conduct a study to determine the ways in which individuals with significant disabilities who use wheelchairs, including power wheelchairs, can be accommodated on board aircraft through in-cabin wheelchair restraint systems;
    (2) issue minimum guidelines for such systems; and
    (3) submit to Congress a report on the study.
    (b) Regulations.—Not later than 180 days after completing the study required by subsection (a), the Secretary shall prescribe regulations consistent with the findings of the study and minimum guidelines issued by the Access Board under subsection (a)(2).

This would be a dream. Sent my emails.
    Last edited by landrover; 08-19-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks to both KDL and GJNL. Important legislation, especially in light of new air carrier plans to put more seating in less space. I'll be contacting my senator.

Thanks for pointing this out. Hope she gets enough interest and support.
    I completed the PVA e-mail form online.
    They sent copies to Trump, Pence, my Congressman, Senator Cruz and Senator Cornyn. AKA: The "Republican Royal Flush"

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Received this from the PVA (written by Sherman Gillums, the executive director, who used to be a member of CareCure):

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial]

Since we have had so many discussions about the problems with the Air Carrier Access Act here, I thought some members might want to contact their Senators to support this legislation.

(KLD)

Sorry but I dont see barriers in air travel and I dont want to see airlines looking in to wheelchair restraints!

Flying with wheelchair and power chairs loaded in the cargo hold is perfect, it works and its safer.

Not sure if those posting travel much but its safe and simple and damage is minimal to none. When it does happen repairs can be very fast. We have even had DMEs meet us at our hotel before we get there for a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Sorry but I dont see barriers in air travel and I dont want to see airlines looking in to wheelchair restraints!

Flying with wheelchair and power chairs loaded in the cargo hold is perfect, it works and its safer.

Not sure if those posting travel much but its safe and simple and damage is minimal to none. When it does happen repairs can be very fast. We have even had DMEs meet us at our hotel before we get there for a repair.
    The thing is there is always room for improvement and refinement in the airline travel experience for people with disabilities, whether that is wheelchair experience, blind experience or hearing impaired experience. Advocating for the best possibly transportation accommodation for all travelers is not a bad thing.

Nothing in the travel experience for people with a disability is as you say "perfect."

If there are ways of making the original Air Carrier Access Act more meaningful and stronger, why would you be against it?

Generalize much? So if you've been fortunate thus far to not have experienced issues that have impacted your travel plans, then by all means others must not have been impacted either, right??
    Last edited by landrover; 08-21-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Be fair landrover . . . that is not at all what RollPositive was suggesting. Let me echo the earlier sentiment - - air travel for disabled folks will never be "perfect". I travel several times a month for my work and I have found (for the most part) airlines agreeable, sensitive and responsive to my needs.

I agree. I do not want to be in the cabin with a chair strapped down to the plane. Here's why:

The forces in a crash a tremendous. Even if engineers design tie-downs or locks that can withstand the forces of a crash, it would need to be met with equal design tolerances for the WHEELCHAIR MANUFACTURERS.

Here's a scenario: A plane 'crashes' in a hard landing. No fireballs or anything, just an impact.

The base of a power chair is strapped down - the base frame with the wheels and battery and motor - but other pieces break off: the seat, the back, armrests, etc. These objects fly around the cabin and could injure or kill other passengers. For dramatic effect, let's say the entire top half of a power chair breaks free from the base, which is tied down.

That's dangerous and a liability and I don't want to be on that plane.

If you look around the cabin of an airplane - the seats and overhead bins - there are no pieces or bits that could break off. Everything is designed to high tolerances to withstand crashes and impacts at over 150mph (approx. takeoff and landing speed).

Now think about your average power chair - there could be headrests, armrests, footrests, ventilators, and other attached equipment. are all these pieces (including the seat vs. base) designed to withstand the g-forces of a 200mph crash?

And Manual chairs aren't exempted either: footrests, armrests, etc. And this is an Icon wheelchair. Do you think the single post between the seat and the base is designed to withstand the g-forces of a 200mph crash?

I keep on tossing around the idea of a "200mph crash". People do survive from impacts like that. But more common are accidents on the tarmac like this one below. Watch how forcefully the smaller plane gets tossed around by the A380:

To be clear, I am all for increased ease of access on planes. But I will refuse to support this unless wheelchair manufacturers start designing their chairs with the same tolerances as the airline industry designs their seats.

If you support this amendment or any similar legislation, I strongly encourage you to tell your local politicians to push for safety regulation of the wheelchair manufacturer industry as well.