Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please identify this van wheelchair lift

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    So they can charge you more. Not necessary though.

Yup, thats the reason, its so you can be charged more money.

Your right you don't need one.

But in many cases its a really good thing to have.

Same goes for diesel trucks they have two big batteries so you can be charged more money.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I always remote start my van before getting in them, for a couple reasons: The main one being not like going through all the motions of transferring only to have the van not start. And since most of my trips are short, the van can reach operating temperature, and recharge the battery. The lift works faster with the extra volts, too.

Having a remote start is a great idea especially when you don't have two batteries.

The load is carried via the alternator and battery.

jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Automotive Innovations, have you weighed in yet in use of UVL in colder/snowy climates. If Nonoise had a UVL he could probably open and close slider manually without power door.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Automotive Innovations, have you weighed in yet in use of UVL in colder/snowy climates. If Nonoise had a UVL he could probably open and close slider manually without power door.

Yes and imho i don't like them.

We haven't done one (for someone that insisted on one) in a long time.

They should be taken apart cleaned and lubed twice a year.

When you don't do this for a few years they won't come apart without drilling everything out.

Never mind having them freeze in place under the van.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    Yup, thats the reason, its so you can be charged more money.
    Same goes for diesel trucks they have two big batteries so you can be charged more money.
    jim
    Sorry, but the main reason there's two batteries on diesel vehicles (mostly trucks) is because a diesel has much higher compression than a gas engine, which requires bigger starters to spin the engine, especially in cold weather.

I have this exact lift in my van. Sliding door. The van sits high and the lift has no issues dropping all the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    There are lifts to fit your van.

The problem for me would be to find a door opener that i liked.

fwiw: Thats my choice of a lift.

its probably one of the most reliable lifts available.

Feel free to call if you have questions about lifts.

Jim
    I'm hoping the pictured lift is Ricon folder and it is the same that I was quoted.

The mobility dealer I talked to was very agreeable to my not installing the $6,000 opener for the slider. Tonight I got in the van sat on a chair and used a pvc stick with a hole in the end to see how hard it might be to operate the door, assuming the lift obstacle was in the way. It wasn't so so bad, 'bout the same as before really. Opening all the way was harder, so that needs to be refined, but I only experimented a little while.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I always remote start my van before getting in them, for a couple reasons: The main one being not like going through all the motions of transferring only to have the van not start. And since most of my trips are short, the van can reach operating temperature, and recharge the battery. The lift works faster with the extra volts, too.
    That's another mistake I made. When I bought my add-on security alarm he asked me if I wanted remote start. It just doesn't get that cold here much anymore and if it does, I don't need to go anywhere. So I said no. It's a crappy clone system though since it does not disable the ignition like my other does, so someone could drive off.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    I have this exact lift in my van. Sliding door. The van sits high and the lift has no issues dropping all the way down.
    Like I said, I think I was quoted $10,000.00 to have it installed if it is the Ricon folder.
    However if this guy is correct, this older van using one that won't fit mine, paid $4,500.00 for a Braun folder. It doesn't look as sturdy but it's half price. Maybe I'll quiz him tomorrow.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...269772833.html

Nonoise, have you considered a rear lift? You can park in narrow spaces and they are generally more convenient unless you do a lot of parallel parking. I don't get rear lifts anymore because we are a 2 chair family with 2 rigid, manual chairs, the 1st person in would have to remove wheels, fold back in order to allow the 2nd person to access driver or passenger seat. Of course you would have to get rid of rear seats and the double opening doors on back would require power doors. I had one van with rear lift many years ago when we used folding chairs, super convenient.