Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Milking it for all it's worth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    What if basketball skills are a deal breaker?
    Well, I guess the deal's broken. This white guy definitely can't jump.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I'd marry her for the money. (Psssst...If you're a member...PM me. I'm smart, funny, and according to lynnifer I'm "enlightened". Can't go wrong with a stud like me!! )
    I cant believe you asked for my hand in marriage!?!

In todays world you need to get as much as you can. The lawyer gets about 40 percent don't forget. Guessing on what things will cost in the future who knows the way things are going.
    Art

A life care plan is not "guessing", and is done by both sides in the case usually, and vetted by an economist for inflation factors. It is not always 100% accurate, but it is far from guessing.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I call it guessing for me. A lot of folks years ago that took settlements on guessing are almost broke today. So we will just have to agree on disagreeing on that one.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A life care plan is not "guessing", and is done by both sides in the case usually, and vetted by an economist for inflation factors. It is not always 100% accurate, but it is far from guessing.

(KLD)

How is it not guessing? They go by your life expectancy. There is no way to know someone's life expectancy. In my recent mediation both sides did a life care plan. My side said atleast 30 years and wc side said 18 years. I'm 44. There are quite a few members in their 70's. So for wc to say I won't make it past 62 is total BS!

The life expectancy data should be what is available statistically from the National Model System Database. That is not a "guess", but based on actually follow-up and looks at risks for death, and other comorbidities associated with SCI. A good life care planner and economist uses this data to formulate their plan...it is not just pulling guesses out of the air.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post

How is it not guessing? They go by your life expectancy. There is no way to know someone's life expectancy. In my recent mediation both sides did a life care plan. My side said atleast 30 years and wc side said 18 years. I'm 44. There are quite a few members in their 70's. So for wc to say I won't make it past 62 is total BS!
    It isn't guessing. A "guess" comes from no where. Life expectancy estimates come from analyzing millions of lives over decades and decades. They aren't a statement of FACT, rather of probability. If 'your side' just pulled 30 years out of the air, that's a guess. There is so much data on life expectancy over such and large time frame the probabilities are quite reliable.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Life expectancy data is based on past medical practices and likely an underestimate of care based on current and future developments. I have lived more than 62 years post injury. If I have done that there is the possibility that others can reach or exceed 62 years post injury. I am aware of several SCIs who are more than 50 years post injury and still doing well. When $ plays a large role in an SCI's longevity and quality of life it is fair and appropriate to error on the safe side. Having an adequate amount of $ to cover costs is a life-death issue and must be taken seriously.

Part of my testimony. In every case I was involved in the jury accepted it. In the last few cases I was involved in the defense did not bother to contest it. For the juries, seeing was believing. In the end, normal life expediencies were used as the terminal point for settlements.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

When I was hurt, they said my life expectancy was 12 years by the insurance charts. So that's what my settlement was based on. They also said I'd gain 20 pounds the first year. That was 34 years ago and I still wear the same size pants. So much for charts and statistics.