Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Milking it for all it's worth

I ran a stop sign and then collided with a passing car. The stop sign was covered by tree limbs but I/we never sued. I myself was sued by the people I hit. Despite being treated and released at the scene, they tried to get $500,000 from me. Eventually our insurance settled with them for $35,000 and a new truck.

They trimmed the tree limbs from the stop sign the next day.

Turned down 22 million? That is f'n insane!! It took me 2 years to get a sliver of that and was happy that i got anything.

This culture of settlements versus non-settlements in paralysis really creates quite the chasm of the haves and have nots. The entire system stinks of automatically putting people in certain classes, determining recovery and acceptance (a helluva lot easier when you don't have to work for your money) and probably influences happiness post-injury as well.

It's not right .. but I don't have an answer.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

When I was injured in high school in 1954 one could only sue a school system if you were given permission by the state. lol However, I do not believe anyone was at fault. I did life care plans for several years here in SC because people like SCIs were only getting settlements of one or two hundred thousand $ because attorneys did not have a clue about related costs. 20 years ago typical settlements in cases I worked on were in the 3-5 million $ range, with a $500,000 limit on pain and suffering. When you factor in lost income with health care costs and inflation it quickly adds up. I did have a federal case that was settled for $20 million. It was for a botched baby delivery that resulted in an infant with a strong beating heart and little or no brain function. The settlement was based on the fact that there are documented cases of some of these infants living more than 50 years with 24/7 care.

My post injury bills got paid by a 2nd mortgage on the family farm and good ole Pennsylvania Voc Rehab. Back then once i got picked up for services they even paid my hospital bills until I became employed.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Were these settlements paid out as lump sums or structured settlements?

J.G. Wentworth

148 Million

And this is why you litigate in the Chicago area. Where else can you get a jury pool that is not bright enough to avoid jury duty, and probably thinks that the $18/day to serve is a jackpot? They'll stick it to the man! I guess if they aren't paying the taxes to fund such settlements, it doesn't matter if the settlement is remotely based in reality. Simply amazing.

http://wgntv.com/2017/08/23/148-mill...hare-accident/

Wow, it is painful just reading about turning down 22 million offered by the city!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Were these settlements paid out as lump sums or structured settlements?

J.G. Wentworth
    I know that both were used depending on the lawyers, plaintiff, and economist.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I know that both were used depending on the lawyers, plaintiff, and economist.
    Mine was a combination of lump sum, annuity, and 30 years of LTD income replacement.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    This culture of settlements versus non-settlements in paralysis really creates quite the chasm of the haves and have nots. The entire system stinks of automatically putting people in certain classes, determining recovery and acceptance (a helluva lot easier when you don't have to work for your money) and probably influences happiness post-injury as well.

It's not right .. but I don't have an answer.
    I think this is true, but I don't think it's necessarily 'wrong' and it certainly isn't 'automatically' putting people in classes, as in it's not arbitrary or random, it's based on life circumstances and the choices the injured person made before their injury.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus