Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Milking it for all it's worth

Been thinking about this and hope what I'm thinking doesn't happen. She gets the 20+ mil. (She doesn't appear to be a high injury.) She ends up in a power, stand, tilt chair with people that wait on her every need. Cook, clean, drive her where ever. So she doesn't need to do anything for herself. And eventually can't. Kind of a sad thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Been thinking about this and hope what I'm thinking doesn't happen. She gets the 20+ mil. (She doesn't appear to be a high injury.) She ends up in a power, stand, tilt chair with people that wait on her every need. Cook, clean, drive her where ever. So she doesn't need to do anything for herself. And eventually can't. Kind of a sad thought.
    She's a para and just got awarded $148,000,000. Andy linked the article in an earlier post.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    It isn't guessing. A "guess" comes from no where. Life expectancy estimates come from analyzing millions of lives over decades and decades. They aren't a statement of FACT, rather of probability. If 'your side' just pulled 30 years out of the air, that's a guess. There is so much data on life expectancy over such and large time frame the probabilities are quite reliable.
    How about we call it a guesstimate lol. My side didn't just pull a number out of the sky. The nurse who did it has been doing it for a very long time so she knows what she is doing. When trying to settle a case for enough money to take care of someone for the rest of their life a guesstimate can't be that far off between the two sides. Especially now a days where people like SCIfor55yrs are living longer than expected. I'm sure no one expected him to live 62 years post SCI but here he is. What about baldfatdad? My insurance company wants to settle bad but I can't. What happens when I live longer than their guesestimate? They only offer enough to last me till I'm 62 and 62 comes and goes and I'm still going strong. Then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Where I think lynnifer was exactly right, is, the presence of rift between 'have settlement' and 'not have settlement' folks.

It most often presents as 'disabled young/born disabled' and 'disabled as a functional adult'.

The basketball team I played for, years ago, was markedly divided between these 2 populations. The resentment was palpable and started more than one argument that I can vividly remember. Half of us were 30+, gainfully employed and/or well insured, while the other half were disabled their whole lives.

I don't pretend to know how much more difficult a life could be; if disabled from birth or very young, compared to my experience, but I do believe they are remarkably different experiences (even if I don't subscribe to the 'fair vs unfair' point of view).

The gap in experiences is real, the struggles are quite different, and I'd say it might come almost as close as 'quad vs para' levels of disparate experience.
    Thanks for mansplaining exactly what I already said. lol!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post

(Minus the whining about it being 'wrong' and 'unfair'.)
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

In the interest of consistency and equality, we'll have none of that alt-left talk in this forum! (I chastised Oddity for his alt-right personal responsibility talk here earlier, so here's yours)

It's grand being a self-appointed moderator
    Last edited by Andy; 08-27-2017 at 10:59 AM.

lol @ Andy ... I was going to come back on the 'whine' post ... but what's the point? In a forum filled with paralyzed men seething with testosterone and no real way to release it.

Sorry was that me whining again?

lol @ Andy ... I was going to come back on the 'whine' post ... but what's the point? In a forum filled with paralyzed men seething with testosterone and no real way to release it.

Sorry was that me whining again?
    No, that's you very effectively hitting below the belt. Don't mess with Lynnifer!

Now where is Adrian when we need him, lol

lol ... oh let me have one! 1 for Jennifer, 1001 for the men!

THAT's WHINING!

Honestly - cannot make this stuff up - a quadriplegic here in Ontario tried to sue our city because he dove and broke his neck in a lake. The sign was there that said 'NO DIVING.' He still tried. Lost.
    I broke my neck diving off a dock at my cousin's summer house. it was a place I've been many times before, and dove many times (flat racing dive) off that dock. That time, I hit an unidentified floating object (possibly a waterlogged log.) There was no sign there. My cousin said I should sue, but I never did.

An ironic note-this happened because I was sober. My cousin had National Premium beer, which I didn't like, so I didn't drink. Instead, I went into the water, and that was that. If I had done some drinking, I wouldn't have gone in the water at that time.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.