Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Milking it for all it's worth

Milking it for all it's worth

Getting a SCI sucks, no debate on that. But at times I have to wonder...

http://abc7chicago.com/trial-begins-...apsed/2311960/

$22 Million was offered by the city. That was insufficient so the suit went to trial. Testimony included: "David Darden says despite dozens of medications she often wakes in pain during the night at least twice a week. He testified knows about those moments when she is "sometimes crying out in pain." Tierney is expected to testify, possibly on Wednesday. With her medical conditions, the family described sometimes Tierney is in too much pain to get out of bed.

I might know a thing or two about T level SCI, come on now. This is getting a bit ridiculous. I guess when $22 Million is not enough, you have to pile on the BS for a bigger jackpot.

But wait...it gets better:

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/160319526/

Custom aesthetically pleasing concrete work, motorized kitchen accessories, in-home elevators. Must be nice. Heck, my SCI resulted in me having to purchase of $8K outdoor electric lift in the back yard, and a Home Depot wall mount bathroom sink, installed by me. Sure is nice getting a ton of this kind of stuff donated. Just be careful around the beneficiary... "Tierney Darden visited the house in October, but not since then out of concern that dirt from construction debris would be detrimental to her health". I think I detect a hint of the mindset involved.

Yeah, you could say I'm somewhat jealous in making these observations. But when as a tax payer $22 Million is not enough for these folks, and they apparently want more, I gotta question this. Yeah, it sucks for her, but I think there should be some sort of limit to the greed, and I think greed is an appropriate term for what is going on here. I'd love to be on that jury.

Well, in my state, the most you can get for "pain and suffering" is $250,000. There is no limit though on costs related to the disability or loss of income...which is why a good life care plan is needed. The life care plan looks at predicted current and future medical care and disability related expenses information. An economist will also weigh in on this (for inflation prediction) and also for the information about loss of future income.

In most cases, a life care plan is complete by both sides (plaintiff and defense) and presented to the judge/jury. The life care planner must be able to justify each part of the life care plan. I have done life care planning in the past (both plaintiff and defense) and often had to point out errors or exaggerations in the life care plans of the opposing side. I would assume that the City of Chicago's attorney in this case is doing the same.

(and there is no way you would get on the jury as a person with a SCI yourself.)

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    They seriously turned down a $22,000,000 settlement?!?!? Wow.

I too had a lot of help when I was hurt. A big deck , 3 entrance ramps, 2 bathrooms, and a 6 car driveway were all done by volunteers, with local businesses donating all the materials, while I was doing my inpatient rehab. I was shocked and amazed at the support system that engulfed me those first few months.

But $22,000,000 not being "enough"?!?!?! That's 10x my settlement and I was (and still am) darned appreciative.

Maybe I sold myself short?
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Paid extra for my condo blueprint to be changed with less materials!!! Paid by money I earned. No parental help, no volunteers - nothing.

If she's anxious to pursue a treatment or possible cure, it doesn't seem all that much.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I love to disagree with Andy at every chance, but 22mil, yeah... thats crazy.

I agree about the amount being too high. I would not be at all surprised to find that this young woman is being told to try to appear to be more disabled by her pain (and other disabilities) than is the case. It would not be the first time I have heard from victims that their attorney told them to do this while trying to get a bigger settlement or judgement. Remember that in cases such as this the attorney typically gets 1/3 of the settlement.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Lawyers gotta eat also!

I got to thinking, I need to sue! While suing myself would not result in much windfall action, having my bike wreck in one of the nation's top 100 wealthiest towns opens the doors to some lucrative possibilities. Let's see...they provided an attractive nuisance in the form of an interesting roadway for motorcyclists, and were negligent in not providing adequate police patrols to curtail people like me making said roadway their personal racetrack. Then there was the issue of the guardrail intentionally placed so as to maximize injuries upon people who would impact it. Framed this way, I am sure I could get a metro Chicago area jury to rule in my favor. I probably could roll into the courtroom in a neck brace and with oxygen tank for added effect. I gotta call this girls lawyer...

Honestly - cannot make this stuff up - a quadriplegic here in Ontario tried to sue our city because he dove and broke his neck in a lake. The sign was there that said 'NO DIVING.' He still tried. Lost.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I was involved once in a case where a middle-aged man drove his motorcycle too wide around a sharp turn on a rural (state) road head on into a truck. Sustained a T4 complete injury and a TBI. Sued the state saying that the signage did not indicate that the turn was that sharp. Lots of testimony by experts on motorcycles and highway safety and design. Final judgment was for $9 million, but jury determined also that the man was 90% responsible for the accident (driving too fast, not maintaining control, etc.) and that the state was only 10% negligent, so he got "only" $900,000, of which his attorney took 1/3 ($300,000).

I also did a case one time where the person was a repeat bank robber, and was shot in the back by police in the act of robbing his 10th bank. Sued the police because they shot an unarmed man!!! Amazingly, the city settled for a fairly small amount rather than go through a trial. He lost the case, and also ended up in prison.

You can sue for pretty much anything...winning is something else.

(KLD)