Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about getting a Permobil and have many thoughts, concerns & questions.

It's not so much the actual dimension, but rather the value that is spec'd on the order form. Many adult males will have their footplates less than 2" above the ground when the legrests and the seat is not tilted or elevated. A 17" footrest length with a 17.5 STF height is a safety issue if a powerchair doesn't have power seating, but power tilt, power elevating legrests, or a power elevating seat (in the case of the F3/5 or M3/5) can eliminate the risk provided the user is aware of the issue.

We used to spec most of our chairs at 17" until we had an F3 come in that wouldn't tilt <5 degrees unless the legrests were kicked out to 20-30 degrees or the seat was elevated 2". Even though this had been an issue since they introduced the C300, it wasn't something the factory felt they needed to address until the F3 hit the market. We routinely set the footrest at 16-17" during the fitting and ensure the user knows they should tilt 5-10 degrees when driving. We just don't spec anything >15" to avoid the factory restrictions. We can always reprogram the seating to set the minimum tilt angle to 5 degrees or set the seat height an inch higher in the field.

Been reading up on this very informative thread. I’m due a new chair soon and have private insurance. Been using Invacare since 1986 but I'm going to move to Permobile this time for a variety of reasons.

The only question I have for now concerns doorway clearance. I'm going to be moving soon as well and might have to deal with a 30 inch wide doorway into what could be my bedroom. It's 28.5 inches with the door attached.

Without the door I should be able to get through it in my Invacare TDX 5 without much of a problem. With the door on I can get through it but my armrests scrape the sides. The right arm rest in particular causes the most problems because it's one of those wide bucket armrests. So until I get my new chair I would most likely have to remove the door so I could get through it in my Invacare chair without scraping.

Are the mid-wheel and front wheel Permobile chairs a bit more narrow?
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

Quote Originally Posted by Yor View Post
    Been reading up on this very informative thread. I?m due a new chair soon and have private insurance. Been using Invacare since 1986 but I'm going to move to Permobile this time for a variety of reasons.

The only question I have for now concerns doorway clearance. I'm going to be moving soon as well and might have to deal with a 30 inch wide doorway into what could be my bedroom. It's 28.5 inches with the door attached.

Without the door I should be able to get through it in my Invacare TDX 5 without much of a problem. With the door on I can get through it but my armrests scrape the sides. The right arm rest in particular causes the most problems because it's one of those wide bucket armrests. So until I get my new chair I would most likely have to remove the door so I could get through it in my Invacare chair without scraping.

Are the mid-wheel and front wheel Permobile chairs a bit more narrow?
    I have a Permobil m300 that was delivered December 2016. Permobil has discontinued that chair and replaced it with the Permobil m3 (mid-wheel). From what I can tell by looking at specs, the width of the chair hasn't changed. The following picture shows the measurements from outside of armrest to outside of armrest, outside of fender to outside of fender, and outside of caster housing to outside of caster housing.

Looking at the specs for the f3 (front wheel), these measurements seem to be the same.

Hope someone with the model m3 and f3 will post measurements for you.
    Outside of armrest to outside of armrest
    Outside of fender to outside of fender
    Outside of caster housing to outside of caster housing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I have a Permobil m300 that was delivered December 2016. Permobil has discontinued that chair and replaced it with the Permobil m3 (mid-wheel). From what I can tell by looking at specs, the width of the chair hasn't changed. The following picture shows the measurements from outside of armrest to outside of armrest, outside of fender to outside of fender, and outside of caster housing to outside of caster housing.

Looking at the specs for the f3 (front wheel), these measurements seem to be the same.

Hope someone with the model m3 and f3 will post measurements for you.
    Outside of armrest to outside of armrest
    Outside of fender to outside of fender
    Outside of caster housing to outside of caster housing
    Thanks so much. This is very useful.

Paul
    C4-C5 Quad since 9/15/85

Thank you all for contributions to this thread and for the pictures. I haven't been to CC in a while and for some reason am not receiving email notifications.