Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a Permobil and have many thoughts, concerns & questions.

In December my daughter went from the 6000z to an F5 with elevator and stander. Yes, she lost some maneuverability but the good have out-weighed the bad. The F5 is only an inch longer but does not turn on a dime so more space for turns is needed. The elevator goes up/down much faster, doing stander much more (can drive in stander position too), smoother ride, and programming her position changes, etc is a feature she really likes. She has a Permobil back with some thoracic support. She doesn't use a backpack. Instead she attaches a slim purse via carabiner to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    In December my daughter went from the 6000z to an F5 with elevator and stander. Yes, she lost some maneuverability but the good have out-weighed the bad. The F5 is only an inch longer but does not turn on a dime so more space for turns is needed. The elevator goes up/down much faster, doing stander much more (can drive in stander position too), smoother ride, and programming her position changes, etc is a feature she really likes. She has a Permobil back with some thoracic support. She doesn't use a backpack. Instead she attaches a slim purse via carabiner to the side.
    That's interesting. Did she consider another mid-wheel drive chair such as the M3/M5 before ultimately choosing the F5 VS or were those features not available in the mid-wheel configuration? Based on opinions, I'm assuming the comfort level between the two styles of chairs is night and day.

I don't know what this wheelchair evaluation is going to consist of and how many wheelchairs they will have available for me to sit in. Full disclosure, I am a veteran and the VA will be funding the chair. I'm probably overthinking everything, especially since my appointment is a month away. This all came about when I was there for an appointment which led to us consulting OT, then another wheelchair evaluator was called in and between that group they didn't like how I was sitting, blah, blah, blah. I just don't want to make a bad decision (for me) and be stuck with it. I know that "perfect" chair doesn't exist and with every feature, there is a compromise.?

She really wanted the stander part of the chair to make that exercise more do-able. She researched other chairs but this one was the only one with the features she wanted and once she tried it she was hooked.

It is a tough decision. Hope one of those demos that the DME brings works out for you. She said, after seven years they could have brought about any new chair to me and I would've liked it. Her 6000z was turning unreliable and even had some rust spots on the pan and some other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    Thank you, gjnl and crags. I have some reading to do before my appointment at the end of next month. I don't know what my therapist will say but that ROHO back looks interesting! Unfortunately, I can't drive and I don't want laterals if I can avoid them. Thanks again!

Edited to add:
    gjnl and crags. If it isn't too much trouble, could you please post or PM me a picture of your chair? I'd like to get a visual of what some of these backs look like on the power bases. Thanks.
    pm me your email addr for chair pics

for some reason I can't post pics

I went from the Quantum 6000z to a Permobil M300 2 years ago. There are some huge differences. The Q did not move with barely any degree of tilt or recline, and the leg rest assembly was atrocious the thing in the Q depended on a piece of rectangular very soft metal with teeth on it. And yep those soft metal teeth wore down and the leg rests would come crashing down and hit the ground upon any shock. Can you imagine hitting the transition of carpet to tile floor and having a minor jolt like that cause the foot plates to fall down? The Q was a huge chair the P is smaller. In my Permobil I have more mobility because of the slight decrease in size and all of the electronics still work well over 2 years later. I sit a lot more stably in the Permobil and have had minimal repair issues.

Hey "doing time,"
    Sorry I didn't see your edit to your post until I read "crags's" post above. Here are a couple of pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Does anyone have an F3 with no seat elevator? If so, what is your seat to floor height? It was supposed to be 17.5, however, mine is closer to 18 in the rear and over that in the front.

There is no difference in seat to floor with or without the same elevator. You should also know that if you decide not to get the seat elevator it can not be installed at a later time. Make sure they spec the footplate height at 15" or less to ensure the seat can be as low and level as possible.

I was told that the elevator requires 1 inch seat to floor height addition, not that you lose 1 inch IF you require an 18.5 inch STF. I was told that my increased STF may be a function more of my leg length and I will check for how much clearance I have under my foot plates.

It's too late now to get the elevator as I have taken delivery of it signed on the dotted line.

One really has to wonder why experienced people will say things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    There is no difference in seat to floor with or without the same elevator. You should also know that if you decide not to get the seat elevator it can not be installed at a later time. Make sure they spec the footplate height at 15" or less to ensure the seat can be as low and level as possible.
    From where to where do you measure to get the 15" or less foot plate height? If as I think you mean measuring from the top of the seat pan to the bottom of the footrest, my knees would be so high in the air that my thighs would not be flat on my cushion. From the top of my seat pan to the bottom of my foot rests the measurement is 19". I don't have a high profile cushion. I'm 6'4" tall with very long legs. My behind my knee to my heel measurement is 20.5 inches. I have my foot rest so low that I really have to be careful that I don't drag them on floor transitions. But, if I don't have them this low, I'd never get under a table or desk.

These as built seat pan to floor heights are critical to us taller folks if we don't want to sit too high or have the angle of at of our foot rests kicked way out in front of us.
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-01-2017 at 04:58 PM.