Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do lowered floor minivans high center?

I don't own one. But my test drive indicated no problem with ground clearance. The fact that people post varying experiences may be attributed to the fact that some are older, some are newer, some are smaller, and some are larger vans. Here are a couple specs (with links) that indicate there is little to no difference in ground clearance between a stock Sienna and a converted Sienna.

http://www.autoability.com/toyota-wheelchair-vans.htm
    https://www.toyota.com/sienna/featur...5338/5342/5348
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You do not want an under carriage lift. Especially with our weather Nonoise. I know two that had 'em on their Mercedes Vans. They were forever having troubles with them. Usually when they are half way between the ground and floor of the van. Too much crude from the roads gunked them up all the time. One guy tore the whole indercarriage off. Don't know how he did it, Probably a huge speedbump or something.

I questioned my mobility dealer about reliability of UVL lifts in Michigan winters. They said the lifts held up well, strangely enough they said the ones with problems were garaged vans moved from freezing to thawing a lot.

I know you can get dbl arm and vmi in Mercedes and ford transit with slide door. which van did you buy?? the explorer conv vans still have barn doors
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    \

Yeah well, full size van is my favorite too. Last year for the first time ever I even bought a brand new one. But it has a sliding side door and I'm not seeing lifts for those unless it's one installed underneath in the "high center" area.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I agree with pat, i'd never own one in ohio either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    You do not want an under carriage lift. Especially with our weather Nonoise. I know two that had 'em on their Mercedes Vans. They were forever having troubles with them. Usually when they are half way between the ground and floor of the van. Too much crude from the roads gunked them up all the time. One guy tore the whole indercarriage off. Don't know how he did it, Probably a huge speedbump or something.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I know you can get dbl arm and vmi in Mercedes and ford transit with slide door. which van did you buy?? the explorer conv vans still have barn doors
    It's a 2016 Chev Express, virtually the same body as yours except no raised top or dropped floor. It is just a plain ol cargo van with two seats up front. When I got to the dealer I was disappointed to see the slider as I've had nothing but trouble with them in the past, but the price was right and I was in a hurry. I failed to do that part of the research, but I do recall thinking a door motor could be installed later if I ever need platform lift added. I'm wondering now if the slider even opens wide enough for a lift.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I don't own one. But my test drive indicated no problem with ground clearance. The fact that people post varying experiences may be attributed to the fact that some are older, some are newer, some are smaller, and some are larger vans. Here are a couple specs (with links) that indicate there is little to no difference in ground clearance between a stock Sienna and a converted Sienna.

http://www.autoability.com/toyota-wheelchair-vans.htm
    https://www.toyota.com/sienna/featur...5338/5342/5348
    ADA? Are the mobility dealers hands tied with ADA requirements? Look at the last two entries: I and J
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

ADA? Are the mobility dealers hands tied with ADA requirements? Look at the last two entries: I and J
    I wondered about ground clearance myself and so I have made some (limited) observations. But I can't comment on ADA technicalities. Perhaps a conversion dealer would be able to answer such questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Correct, I do not want one, and hope I am not eventually forced there. I think a lift stored there would cover the catalytic converter, doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Thank you for the straightforward answer, and that is a beautiful rig you have. Will you please tell me how you use it? That is do you transfer to it's seat or stay in your chair? Do you drive it?
    I remain in my power wheelchair and I'm a passenger. I go forward straight up the ramp and straight into my EZ lock. There is a lot of room inside.