Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: Do lowered floor minivans high center?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    These GCs are likely between the wheels. A very quick search on a 2015 Express full size van shows GC to only be 7.7 inches. You would know it's more midspan. I used to roll from side to side under mine. I don't ever scrape bottom and I will drive over most any curb now if it is in the way. That extra 2-3 inches you are comparing for fun is probably between the wheels.


    When the automotive industry states specifications, Ground Clearance is defined as:
    Ground Clearance (also known as ride height) is one of the most basic but very important general dimensions of a vehicle. It is defined as the minimum distance between the lower end of the vehicle body (or chassis) and the road. In other words, it indicates the height of the lowermost part of the vehicle with respect to ground. Generally, most of the manufacturers specify this dimension in unladen vehicle condition i.e. without any load of cargo or passengers. That is why, in actual running condition,when the vehicle is loaded with passengers and cargo; the available ride height is always lower than specified.

    It is that lowest point in relationship to the road that gets you in trouble on some speed bumps and steep ramp/sidewalk transitions.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    ...That is why, in actual running condition,when the vehicle is loaded with passengers and cargo; the available ride height is always lower than specified.

    It is that lowest point in relationship to the road that gets you in trouble on some speed bumps and steep ramp/sidewalk transitions.
    Cargo weight is the issue with lowered floors since the floor is where the minimum distance is measured. Whereas on other vehicles the minimum distance is more likely to be between the wheels and not subject to cause the same drastic high centering.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Cargo weight is the issue with lowered floors since the floor is where the minimum distance is measured. Whereas on other vehicles the minimum distance is more likely to be between the wheels and not subject to cause the same drastic high centering.
    I'm not trying to have a war of words or semantics with you. I just don't think high centering in a converted minivan is as big a deal as some are trying to make it out to be. Converters use the same standard (unladen ground clearance) that manufacturers of other vehicles use that have not be altered. A fully loaded (passengers and possibly luggage) Lexus LS is probably just as likely to high center as a converted minivan with similar payload. In my experience, 3 converted mini vans, (the last two hauling me and my 385 lbs power chair, luggage, a commode chair and my wife), I've had very few incidences of scraping a speed bump or a steep ramp/sidewalk transition. You have to take the precautions of going slow over speed bumps and cross traversing transitions. You'd take the same precautions in an unconverted vehicle.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    ...the last two hauling me and my 385 lbs power chair,...
    How do or did you get from the power chair to your seat? Do you drive?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    How do or did you get from the power chair to your seat? Do you drive?
    No, I don't drive. I ride in the front passenger area and have an EZ Lock tie down.

  6. #26
    I guess my thought is how old of a vehicle. Everything making it handicap accessible is newer, which is nice but what about the vehicle. I think you are going to find a lot of issues as well as cost involved to lower the. Just look at the underbody to seen what all is there. I have found several different vehicle on Craig's list.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    I guess my thought is how old of a vehicle. Everything making it handicap accessible is newer, which is nice but what about the vehicle. I think you are going to find a lot of issues as well as cost involved to lower the. Just look at the underbody to seen what all is there. I have found several different vehicle on Craig's list.
    You are right. Technology is making vehicles manufactured and sold today so much safer and refined. My 2010 Honda Odyssey only has 28,000 miles on it, but safety features are becoming so sophisticated that I will be contemplating trading mine in a few years from now to take advantage of forward looking technology.l

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Saint Petersburg , Florida
    Posts
    589
    I have a 2014 Toyota Sienna. We have never scrapped the bottom on anything including speed bumps. We have backed up to close to the parking curb and the door scrapped. That was our fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I have a 2014 Toyota Sienna. We have never scrapped the bottom on anything including speed bumps. We have backed up to close to the parking curb and the door scrapped. That was our fault.
    Thank you for the straightforward answer, and that is a beautiful rig you have. Will you please tell me how you use it? That is do you transfer to it's seat or stay in your chair? Do you drive it?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  10. #30
    I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C Limited. IT scrapes BIG time. I got hi sided so bad once it literally had to be lifted and pushed off. I lost a 2x2x5 inch angle iron that was attached underneath due to scraping. It's a horrible sound hi siding a driveway. Mines so low I can't use the local Jiffy Lube because my van would scrape going over the safety grate.

    Sure glad they make 'em higher now a days. I keep thinking about trading it in but it runs so well and don't want to plunk down the big cash for another. I know when I buy again, I'll get a higher end vehicle. It sure paid off with my Limited. Others in the area with the lower quality vans have either rust buckets or had to trade them in long ago due to the vehicle giving out. Not the disable equip. but the van themselves.

    There are ways to minimize the scraping. One is to go over at an angle rather than straight on.

Similar Threads

  1. Lowered Floor Van Is Too Low To Drive
    By dnvrdave in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2016, 11:37 AM
  2. Lowered Floor Minivan for Sale
    By jack in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 12:22 PM
  3. Cost of lowered van floor
    By tvot in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 02:40 PM
  4. Purchasing a used lowered floor mini van
    By Shannon in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 05:15 PM
  5. lowered floor Chevy Silverado.
    By -scott- in forum Life
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •