Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: pre cath care

no i dont take any supplements, i used to take vitamin c tablets you chew but didnt seem to do anything, are there things i could take that are proven or isnt there such a thing?
    i had to go into hospital yesterday as i couldnt get my temperature down they gave me a shot of iv antibiotics to help and changed my oral antibiotics until i get my results hopefully today, this is the longest ive felt unwell because of a uti im just still managing to keep my temperature just below 38 im so fed up, so looking forward im looking to change my wiping pre cath and post with antibacterial wipes (is it the Benzalkonium Chloride im looking for?) and looking to take some supplements if they do acutally make a difference?

I've attached two Safety Data Sheets (SDS). One for the Clinell wipes you mentioned and the Dynrex BZK wipes. Both contain BZK or Benzalkonium Chloride in different per-cents of concentration.

There have been incidences of skin irritation due to prolonged use of BZK. So watch for signs of rash and hives.

If you have recurring e coli bacteria urinary tract infections, you could try D mannose to help prevent infection from that bacteria.

I used to take vit. C and cranberry supplements, but I stopped, and I have noticed no difference at all in the number or frequency of urinary tract infections.

Sorry, I tried to attach the PDFs mentioned above, but seems the files were too big to post here. You can probably find the SDS by searching for:
    "Dynarex BZK antisceptic toweletts SDS or MSDS"
    "Clinell towelettes SDS or MSDS"
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-17-2017 at 02:55 PM.

thanks for the info, i see that they are hand wipes so maybe not meant for genitals :P but im guessing there wont be any out there meant for genitals really, worth a shot though.
    i dont think ive had an e coli uti before or not that i knew of anyway its always some weird named thing and not the same one either, i did try D mannose as a preventative once but never seen any benefits plus it wasnt cheap

well my first sample i handed in at the doctors came back with no infection, the one from hospital on wednesday came back with harmless bacteria and the antibiotics they gave me would treat that anyway, yet im still having to take paracetamol to bring my temperature down, also what causes cloudy, smelly urine and unable to hold much urine with a fever of 39.5? other than a uti?

You could have a stone up in the upper tract. Have you had a flat plate or renal scan? That would show up on these. I would ask my primary care doctor to work me up with this in mind. Just a shot in the dark at this point, but a good one.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

im hoping thats what i can talk to the urologist about, i did have ultrasound scans in April ish? on my bladder and kidneys all all was good but i dont know about now or recently, how long does a stone take to form?

The best way I have found to avoid UTIs is to mitigate my stress. Was in a stressful situation at work and was in the hospital several times a month from UTIs causing incredible AD. Quit the job and didn't have a UTI for over a year, stress is a killer for me.

Saw that you had employer-sponsored health insurance and was wondering if you're ever were on SSDI and had Medicare.

If you have frequent UTIs you can get Medicare to provide hydroponically closed Systems for free.

Closed Catheter System:

"One of the most common questions relating to catheterization is the ability to utilize a closed catheter system. Medicare provides a closed catheter system if the patient meets the strict criteria.

Most commonly, a patient will have had recurrent urinary tract infections while on a program of sterile intermittent catheterization, twice within the 12 months prior to the initiation of sterile intermittent catheter kits."

Was the frequency of my UTIs reduced by ensuring my bladder was empty or is a because I am now retired and my life is not nearly as stressful?

i just have the NHS :P i mean as of today the only symptom i have is not being able to hold as much so that means cathing more often and getting up through the night, which is annoying i feel it restricts my life always worrying if ive drank too much etc making sure ive got enough catheters with me now as i need to go more often. Also ive been waking up in the morning with bad heads duno if its related or not but im still on the trimethomprim

I use antibacterial wetones wipes, prior to that I spray area with hydrocleanse and use this cath
    http://www.hollister.com/en/vapro
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Actually, frequent UTIs are rarely related to technique or supplies used for catheterization for those who do self intermittent catheterization. Much more common are problems with 1) high bladder pressures, 2) cathing too infrequently, 3) letting your bladder get too full between caths, or 4) stones or (for males) chronic prostatitis.

When did you last have urodynamics studies done to determine your bladder pressures both at rest and when voiding? Have you been evaluated for possible prostatitis? Stones can develop in 2-3 months, so this may need to be reassessed. How often do you cath, and for what amounts?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.